Shattered Glass

I put my head in my hands and run my fingers through my hair again. I bet my hair looks better than it did this morning after attempting to style it. I walk into Mrs. Wilson's office and unlock her computer looking for a document that looks anything like a speech. I click on every document in her computer and don't find it there. I start going through her notebooks and things trying to find something as well. Frustrated I give up and cover my eyes with my hands. I walk out grab his planner off my desk and straight line to Marks office. He's sitting at his desk just typing away. I lightly knock at his door, "Hey, everything is done with this," I say passing it over to him. "Well, I say that, the sticky notes across the front are meetings that need to be rescheduled because of either your schedule which I wrote your name under or because of the teacher..." I look up to see him just staring me in awe. "What?"

He shakes his head, "This is amazing," he says holding up the notebook. "I'm just blown away by you."

I exhale, "I'm just going to move past that." I inhale again. "You know I said about the conference that's happening in two weeks?" I didn't even give him the chance to talk, "I called them to see if there was anything we could do. I explained to them everything, but unless we have permission from Mrs. Wilson and the speech she was going to give then you can't speak. And I've searched through all of her things and there's no speech, I don't even think she had even started it. I'm just going to have to call them back to tell them to cancel..."

He stands up and walks over standing in front of me, he reaches up and fixes my hair. "Alright, slow down. Everything is okay. Just start from the beginning."

I take a deep breath, "I asked if we couldn't go is she wasn't there, they told me that you and I could still go but unless you had permission from her and the speech she was going to say then there's no point in going."

He puts his hands in his pockets, "Excuse me." Someone said from behind me. Mark pushes past me and walks out of his office, "I was in here earlier for my sisters stuff but I didn't get it. Nothing's packed in her office. I need that stuff now!"

I walk up behind Mark, "I'm terribly sorry, I haven't had a second to myself today to start packing her things." I say standing next to him.

"You were just standing there talking," she says pointing back to the office behind us. "You can't tell me that you couldn't have that conversation and pack at the same time?"

Mark kind of pushes me behind him, "I'm sorry, today has been a long day for everyone. Is there any way that we can..."

She folds her hands in front of her, "I was promised her things tonight. If I don't leave here with her stuff I'm getting ahold of your boss." She pokes Mark in the chest.

I go around him, "Alright, I'll start packing her things now." I say trying to get her to follow me. Walking into the office supply room I grab an empty box and take it back to her office. I start putting frames off of the actual wall and putting them in there. She comes in the office and sits in the chair with her hands crossed in front of her, watching me. I look up to the window to see Mark on the phone, head down at the floor as he paces. I turn back to her actual desk and start taking down just picture from around her desk. The woman sighed and I looked back up. Mark was standing there and held up his hand and mouthed the words 5 minutes at me.

"Can you stop messing around I need this stuff now," she huffs.

Mark pokes his head in, "Would you want something to drink?" He tries to get her attention off of me. I start just taking things here and there that I think belong to her. "If you want to follow me I can get you something."

The woman sighs and leaves the room with him, I watched as she wrapped her arm around his and followed him down the hallway. I ran back to the closet and grabbed another box and run back to put it on the desk. I turn to her bookshelf and start putting books in the box, I had filled the box when I saw them walking back. Mark's eyes were wide looking down at the floor, I started walking to meet them in the middle when the box bottom rips and all the books start tumbling to the ground. The lady groans and turns to Mark, "You need to hire better staff around here."