Daydreams

As I drive to the hotel my mind is racing, what is going to happen when I get back to the office Monday or even class? What is he going to say? What is he going to expect from me? My phone starts ringing and wakes me from the clouds. "Hello?" I say just answering the phone without looking who called.

"Pumpkin, are you on your way up there?"

Dad's voice caught me off guard and I'm relieved, "Yeah, I just left not that long ago."

There's a loud bang from the phone, "Sorry, were dumping things out of old boxes to see if things are hidden around here. Plus were re-arranging the shop."

I stare at the open road in front of me, "To bad I'm not there to help you out."

"I know but I'll rest better knowing if he comes here that you are not here." He says a little pissed, I'm sure he has a lot on his plate. "Okay, I just wanted to make sure that you were going."

"Yeah," I say shyly. "I'll text you when I get there."

"Okay pumpkin, I love you."

"Love you too dad."

__________________________

"So, this is it huh?" I say staring down the fresh glass of whiskey in front of me. "I thought we still had time."

"I know," Dad says disappointed. "I thought we at least had 4 more years."

"How does the lawyer know what's going on?" I ask finally looking up over at him, out of everything he's said so far this is what is sticking out most in my mind.

He sighs, "He petitioned to have his sentencing reduced for good behavior, and the judge approved it. I don't blame them, he's done nothing wrong. And he was a good guy who made one bad decision. We finally had the chance to sit down and figure out what needs to happen for you and your safety."

I lean in to the table, "How long have you known?"

He takes a drink, "I've been going to all of his court dates. I personally asked the lawyer to keep tabs in anything he does as well."

I move the glass out of the way, "Why have you not told me there were any other court dates?"

He shakes his head, "You were busy with the newspaper thing and spending time with Jenna before she started dating John. I just wanted you to have a normal time in high school."

I nod my head, "Thanks for that."

I watch as he shakes his head, "Then everything happened, so I actually wanted you to seem like everything was fine and there was nothing going on, that's why I seem to constantly have work meetings."

"Now that I know, will you actually tell me what's going on?" I say finally taking a drink from the untouched glass.

He finishes off his, "Of course, since there's nothing left for me to lie about."

"So how do we know that Chad's going to be upset about the file?" I ask rather confused.

The waiter comes over bringing dad another drink, "The probation officer and our lawyer are friends. They were hanging out one night and said that Chad was going to counseling and the counselor told the probation officer that in his session he had threatened someone and they have to report that." He sighs and looks down at his drink, "We collectively didn't want you or him to know that anything was going on. We were hoping that during the time we thought he still had we could get the counselor to sway his opinion about what was in the file."