You are Safe

I stand up getting my things together to go home. As I pick up my backpack I notice Mark standing on the other side of my desk. "You startled me," I say grabbing my stomach.

"I'm sorry," he says with a half-smile. "I just wanted you to know, I know what she said in there."

I shake my head, "It was nothing I can't handle."

He grabs the papers in his hands, "I know. But I just want you to know, this office is much safer than the one back at the other school. There's nothing on this floor I won't know about. Everything is being saved and if we need to prove something about harassment or whatever then we can..."

I pick up my purse, "She wasn't harassing me."

Trying to get out of my desk, "Really, trapping you in a private room by yourself to ask about your relationship with your boss isn't harassment?"

I turn back as I reached the wall, "My boss leaving me notes on my desk or in my purse that sometimes say sexual or inappropriate things is going to be seen as sexual harassment but you and I both know that's not the case. But who is going to believe us when there's video evidence?"

He sighs, "I just want you to know that you don't have to go through the same things you did at the last school. I want you to feel safe here."

"Well, thank you." I say re-adjusting the bag on my back. "But things are starting to look suspicious and we need to start acting like just co-workers here. Not both."

"Here," he says passing me a couple pieces of paper, "Here's a study guide for the test, I know that you have a million things going on in the next couple of days so I..."

"Thanks again," I say grabbing the pages from him.

He puts his hands in his pockets again, "I owe you coffee."

I turn around and walk to the elevator, which luckily for me opens straight away.

__________________

Walking into my apartment, there are a stack of boxes and a couple pieces of furniture already sitting in the middle of the living room space. Dad must be planning tomorrow to bring the bigger pieces, since he has more time to make several trips. I look down at the boxes, I can start unpacking these now at least. All these are for is the kitchen. That gives dad more space to bring in the stuff tomorrow. I put all the things down in my hand and grab the box on top.

I place the box on the little island and notice a piece of paper. I move it over, Nice place pumpkin! I smile and start unpacking the box. It's the dishes from the old place, I turn around and look at the cabinets, I guess I have to start somewhere.

____________________

I look at the time as I pause my music finally, 9:30pm. It's going to take me till 11 or so to get back to dad's place. Too bad he didn't bring over the bed or I would have just crashed here for the night. I look around, but none of my clothes are here yet so, probably not my best idea.

Looking over at the boxes that are undone and standing next to the door, I got 4 boxes unpacked. The kitchen looked well stocked and the only things that are missing are the appliances, like my hand mixer and the coffee pot. One of the pieces of furniture he brought over was my desk, I went ahead and set it up in the corner where my dining room table is supposed to go. I don't think I really need it and besides I could just get bar stools and place them on the other side of my little island if I wanted places to sit and eat. Other than that I don't mind sitting in the living room and eating.

He also brought with him some of the things I had for my actual bedroom, like my bed side tables and a couple lamps. I went ahead and placed them in the room but up against the wall so they weren't in his way when he put the bed together tomorrow. I grab my things that I brought up with me and head down to my car. I already started planning music from my playlist for the drive home.

____________________________

Getting to the house, I can already hear him snoring from his room. He must have had a long day, I walk into the kitchen to realize he had ordered pizza. He must have had a really long day. Here lately, dad's favorite thing to do when he got home was cook, for him it was something to help him unwind. I didn't mind either because it meant I didn't have to worry about figuring out food for myself. The only times here lately when he ate out or ordered pizza were days that he was too tired or he had a long day at work.

Grabbing a slice I walk back to my room and throw my things down on the bed. Looking over at the clock the bright red numbers say 11:23pm. I can tell tonight's going to be a long night. Reaching into my backpack I pull out the papers Mark handed me before I left, they were exactly what I imagined they would be. A complete copy of the test, he just called them a study guide to make me feel better.

I grab a pen from my bag and in no time I have them filled out. I pull my notes out and study over them, I only missed two on both tests. I sigh and place them beside me on my bed, I don't care about getting 100% I just want to know I was going to pass the test at least.

Looking back over to the clock, it now says 11:56pm. I walk back out to the garage and grab a box and bring it back to my room. I start packing some of the shirts and things that I know I would wear and would want to take up to the apartment. I start throwing some of my hanging shirts on the bed as well to make sure that they don't wrinkle or anything. Looking in the closet at my shoes the safe grabs my attention. Should I take them to the apartment with me? Maybe I should leave it here knowing where it's safe.

I keep packing things I knew I would need for the apartment and come back to my room. I actually needed it to come with me since after our trip this weekend Mark and I are going to talk about what's inside. Grabbing the safe I walk it out to my car and then come back and grab the box and the shirts that are laying on my bed. I run back inside and continue homework I have due Wednesday.