Backfire

MARINETTE

You had one job...

You had one job.

You had one job!

"You had one job!" Monarch storms in the room and slams the door behind him.

"I knew you were going to say that," I sigh heavily. I lean on one of the file cabinets lining one of the walls in the room. Monarch paces back and forth restlessly as I watch him, biting the inside of my cheek out of nervousness. I knew this was going to happen; I knew that he was going to be mad. "Monarch-"

"Mari, I told you and the others about what was going to happen- what was supposed to happen." Monarch stops pacing to face me. With a hand resting on his hip, he throws his other one in the air out of frustration. "You had one job, just to drug them. But what did you do? You tell them everything! It would have been easier if you did not say anything at all!" He then turns his back to me out of frustration.

"Monarch, it was only supposed to be for Adrien-"

"Adrien?" He interrupts, his voice sounding like he was trying to not believe what I was saying. I could see how disappointed he is- the creases forming on his forehead and the way he would repeatedly clench his fists.

Monarch did tell me of the plan during the morning and I had to call an emergency meeting with all the soldiers secretly working as spies for the government. We all studied and examined the whole plan. And what helped us a lot was the list that Adrien left behind in the front seat of one of the open trucks. The whole reason why I checked on him was to actually get a hold of the list and the arrangement Adrien had made for the 'dispatch'. Everything could have been easy for my part if it were not for...i-if it were not for-

"Tell me, Marinette, " Monarch stops my train of thought. His voice, tired and worn-out from obviously reasoning out with the higher officials as to why the plan was not done properly. "Be honest just for once!...please," He begs exasperatedly.

"I thought it was going to backfire..." I confess in a whisper. This time, I turn my head away since I cannot bear to even look at him.

"Backfire...?" He spits in disbelief, "B-Backfire?!" He swiftly turns to me and marches toward me in frustration, "Marinette! Do you or do you not trust your fellow comrades?!"

I face him in anger as I shout, "I do!"

"Then how did it go wrong? Or why did it go wrong?!"

Why?

I...I don't know, or I refuse to acknowledge the real reason that keeps me uneasy and my heart unsteady. With sweaty palms, I dare to keep my mouth shut and bite my bottom lip anxiously.

"Just...ah," Monarch ruffles his hair in frustration, "Marinette...are you forgetting your place in this operation? We are here to bring equity before equality! Don't forget that this all started with the decision to close the mine- one of the primary sources of income for those who lost their jobs due to the closing and are now starting a rebellion this very instant."

"Well then, I'm sorry for not even having any fault in the closing down of the mine!" I spit as I could not hold back my tongue.

"Marinette-"

"And why must our past leader have to decide to do that out of selfish reasons then leave us to clean up for his mistakes?"

"Mari-"

"And he does not stop there," I continue my rant, my face turning solemn in grief, "he commits suicide, leaving nothing behind. Until now we do not know why and until now, we do not have anyone courageous enough to step up and stop the misunderstanding that is making everyone go against each other-"