Why And Wherefore

MARINETTE

Adrien left a few minutes earlier before Alya arrived so that what happened the day before wouldn't happen again. We would not want to give Alya another heart attack.

Now Alya has asked me to sit on the bed so that she could check the wounds on my back.

"I got good news for you, girl," she perks up. She starts to unwrap the gauze from my body. "The wounds on your back are looking better than ever. I can switch to smaller patches now, if you would like."

"Oh, yes, please!" I say in delight and excitement. Finally, I would not feel the itch caused by the gauze and my back would get to breathe a little.

She presses the patches on my back. "Does this hurt?" She asks, applying pressure on my right side, below my shoulder blade.

It stings a little in where she presses and I tell her, "There is a bit of pain but it's bearable. It's not like when I got them."

"I hope you wouldn't mind me asking but what crazy thing did you do to get these?"

"They were supposed to do it on Adrien," I answer her in a whisper. With that, she takes a seat beside me and smiles sadly at me. I shake my head, placing a hand on top of my chest where my heart is. "I couldn't let them do it to him," I continue, "my heart wouldn't handle it."

"I would completely understand," she says while placing another patch on my back. Suddenly, she lets out a light laugh. "I remember when you were not really keen with my budding relationship with Nino. Now you're giving your heart and soul to Adrien."

I let out a groan and bury my head in my hands. "If I could slap my past self, I would do it without any mercy."

"Don't think about that. You know how stubborn I am. I would still be seeing him in any chance I got...and that would be when you were too busy with Adrien."

"I wasn't really supportive that time with you because...I made a mistake with someone before," I confess.

Alya purses her lips, looking like she wants to press on. Surprisingly, though, she doesn't. Instead, she asks, "So what about Adrien?"

I shake my head, grinning. "Nothing about him is a mistake."

"You really love your boyfriend," she comments while raising her eyebrows teasingly.

"B-Boyfriend?" I sputter and start to dry cough. Boyfriend?! When...How...Oh my God. I gasp and clasp my mouth. Adrien is actually my boyfriend! Honestly, with everything that is happening now, I didn't think of a label...will he want a label?

"Who then is Adrien to you? Fiancé?" She continues, clearly loving the feeling of teasing me.

"Fiancé?!"

She laughs out loud, wiping the tears welling up in her eyes. "I'm messing with you," she manages to breathe out. "Well," she drawls out, "maybe I'm messing with you." She casts me a side glance.

"I think I'll stick with 'boyfriend' first." I grab a shirt from my side and put it on. Alya helps me with inserting my arms carefully through the sleeves. Adrien's jacket is folded neatly on my pillow for I plan to wear it tonight.

"As long as you won't go overboard though. We wouldn't want to raise little Adrien and Marinette's in the garrison...Not that I would mind."

"Alya!" I exclaim. I playfully smack her arm and she lets out a fake cry before smiling at me. "I missed you very much," I whisper.

"You have no idea how much I cried for you when they said that you died along with the others," she whispers back, grabbing ahold of my hands. "Why did you never tell me?" Her voice is on the brink of shaking as she is starting to feel overwhelmed with her emotions.