Embodiment

MARINETTE

Wipe away another one, okay...that's it. You got this, Marinette.

I have not been sleeping well for the past few days. Rather, I do not know if I even got to sleep at all.

I gather water from the faucet and bring my face near my hands. I wash my face once more and turn the knob of the faucet to stop the water from running. I heave a sigh and look at myself in the mirror in front of me. With the sleeves of my jacket, I use them to wipe away the droplets of water on my face.

Oh, would you look at that. I am face-to-face with the living dead. I curse under my breath at the state I am now in. And it is all because of one guy.

"Who would have thought that you would cry over a guy for days?" I whisper, looking at myself in the mirror. "You did not cry when you broke up with Monarch but here you are pouring your heart out for a guy you met four months ago." But have been hearing stories about him three months prior, I continue in my head.

"And I just had to initiate the relationship...with a kiss," I bury my face in my hands and let out a disgruntled sigh. "from all things. Damn it," I mutter under my breath and slam a hand at the side of the sink.

Was what we had even considered a relationship when I was just using him?

I look at myself in the mirror then close my eyes as I run my hands through my hair. "I need a drink," I continue, "Or a breath of fresh air." Like as if anything here could calm down the ticking time-bomb in me. I should have not worn my heart on my sleeve ever since the beginning.

I turn off the light in the bathroom connected to the room where I will be resting in for the meantime. I too was given a private room somewhat similar to Adrien's and Nino's but mine is only temporary. For the other two...I don't know how long they'll be placed there. But thank goodness that Monarch listened and followed my request of not placing them in cells that were fit for them - "traitors to authority".

To me, they are not that much of traitors at all. They just misunderstand the situation we are all caught up in as they are misunderstood by my comrades. "I guess I'm the one in the middle. I have to fix this in some way," I voice my thoughts out loud. I open the door and turn off the lights in my room just as I exit. "But I can't do it alone."

I close the door behind me and turn right so that I could head to the mess hall to grab something to eat. My breath gets caught in my throat and it's like my heart skips a beat as I stop in place once I see that I have come face-to-face with an all too-familiar person.

Adrien stops in place too with a senior soldier, Gorilla, beside him. Gorilla got his nickname because of his buff body and intimidating aura that could be felt by anyone once near him. He is also a man of a few words. They both stand silent in place with Adrien showing a deadpan look.

How could you forget, Marinette! It's this time of the day that Adrien and Nino would get to walk around certain areas in the base. This was part of what I requested of Monarch, to allow them to not always be cooped up in their rooms for the whole day.

I clear my throat and start to talk in a authoritative manner, "I see that they assigned you, Gorilla, to Agreste. Wise decision."

Gorilla grunts in reply and I nod in understanding. I see Adrien raise his eyebrows with my mentioning of the name of the 'guard' assigned to watch over Adrien to make sure that he does not do anything that could let the mutiny know that he is here and that he does not also hurt my comrades.