The Airport Battle

Chapter 10

Steve and Abi walked out onto the runway fully suited up; Steve in his uniform with his shield and Abi in black jeans, combat boots and a black long-sleeved top. The bandana she had picked up years ago in Stuttgart was around her neck for luck. They broke into a run towards a helicopter but Tony sent an EMP and short circuited it. Abi and Steve exchanged a glance as Tony and Rhodey landed in front of them.

"Wow, it's so weird how you run into people at the airport." Tony said sarcastically as he retracted his helmet. The bruise on his cheek from Bucky was standing out dark blue. "Don't you think that's weird?" He turned to Rhodey.

"Definitely weird." Rhodey replied.

"Hear us out, Tony." Steve tried.

"That doctor, the psychiatrist, he's behind all of this." Abi explained.

Everyone looked to the side as T'Challa suddenly appeared, jumping over a storage unit to stand to the side of them.

"Captain." T'Challa said.

"Your Highness." Steve shot back.

"Anyway," Tony drew the attention back to him. "Ross gave me thirty-six hours to bring you all in. That was twenty-four hours ago. Can you help a brother out?"

"You're after the wrong guy." Steve reiterated.

"Your judgement is askew. Your old war buddy killed innocent people yesterday." Tony said.

Abi's eyes and hands started to glow but Steve grabbed her arm. "And there are five more super soldiers just like him." Steve reasoned. "We can't let the doctor find them first, Tony. We just can't."

"Steve, Abi," Nat appeared. "You both know what's about to happen. Do you really want to punch your way out of this one?"

"I think we'll take our chances." Abi smirked.

Tony sighed. "All right, I've run out of patience." He cupped his hands around his mouth. "Underoos!"

Something moved to the left of them. Steve watched in confusion as webbing stuck to his shield and pulled it out of his grasp. The same webbing wound its way around his hands as Abi defected the bit aimed at her with a lazy flick of her wrist. The kid landed on a storage unit across from them with Steve's shield in one hand. Abi took a quick look inside his head; Peter Parker, fifteen, Queens, calls himself Spider-Man.

"Nice job, kid." Tony called.

"Thanks. I could have stuck the landing a little better it's just... New suit. It's nothing, Mr Stark. It's perfect, thank you." Peter rambled.

Abi and Steve exchanged a glance before looking back at Tony.

"Yeah, we don't really need to start a conversation." Tony told Peter.

"Okay. Cap. Captain. Miss Rogers." Peter saluted them. "Big fan. I'm Spider-Man."

Steve and Abi couldn't help but smile.

"Yeah, we'll talk about it later. Just..." Tony sighed.

"Hey everyone." Peter continued.

"Good job." Tony told him.

"You've been busy." Steve smiled.

"And you two have been complete idiots." Tony shot back harshly. "Dragging in Clint; 'rescuing' Wanda from a place she doesn't even want to leave, a safe place. I'm trying to keep..." Tony sighed. "I'm trying to keep you from tearing the Avengers apart."