chapter eight

By the time we make it back to Auradon, my head is spinning in multiple directions of loss and confusion. The bright lights and festive decorations lining the streets only seem to mock the turmoil inside me. I find that the only place of comfort there can be is Tiana's Cafe, a small, cozy spot that has always been a sanctuary for me.

"Wait, Rosemary!" Carlos cries out as we near the town square. "What about the dance tonight?"

That was tonight? How many days had I been away? Time had blurred into a painful haze.

"I don't care about some stupid dance," I mutter, my voice thick with fatigue and sorrow. At least not anymore.

"Rose-"

"What's the point?" I snap, cutting him off. My heart is heavy, and the thought of pretending to enjoy a celebration is unbearable. Without another word, I turn on my heel and leave them standing in the cold night air, the distant sounds of laughter and music only deepening my sense of isolation.

Pushing open the door to Tiana's Cafe, the familiar scent of beignets and chicory coffee greets me, a small comfort in the midst of my storm. Tiana, busy wiping down the counter, looks up and immediately notices my state.

"Rosemary! What's the matter?" she exclaims, concern etched across her face.

I look up through wet lashes, my vision blurred by unshed tears. "Huh? I'm okay, just..." I take a deep, shaky breath, trying to steady myself. "The past couple of days have been hard."

Tiana's eyes soften, and she steps around the counter to pull me into a gentle hug. "Sit down, sweetheart. Let me get you something warm." She leads me to a corner booth, away from the few other patrons who are quietly chatting.

"Aren't you going to the dance?" she asks gently as she places a steaming cup of hot chocolate in front of me, its rich aroma filling the air.

"After everything that's happened?" I say, shaking my head. "I'll pass."

Tiana sits down across from me, her expression sympathetic yet curious. "Do you want to talk about it?"

I stare into my cup, watching the steam swirl upward. "I don't even know where to start," I admit. "It feels like everything's falling apart."

She reaches across the table and takes my hand in hers. "Sometimes talking helps, even if it's just to get it out of your system. You're safe here, Rosemary. Take your time."

I take a sip of the hot chocolate, its warmth spreading through me, providing a small comfort. "I thought I had everything figured out," I began slowly, the words coming hesitant at first. "But then everything changed so quickly. It's like I've lost my footing, and I don't know how to find it again."

Tiana listens patiently, her presence a steady anchor in the turbulent sea of my emotions. As I start to open up, the tight knot in my chest begins to loosen.

I excuse myself to the bathroom, the knot in my stomach tightening again. The comforting warmth of Tiana's Cafe fades as my mind races. I splash cold water on my face, trying to steady my breathing, but the unease remains. A small knock comes at the door, and I jump slightly.

"Are you okay?" Carlos's voice is soft but insistent.

Taken aback, I reply, "Hmm? I'm fine." My voice sounds hollow even to my own ears.

A beat of silence goes by before he speaks up again. "Are you thinking about Harry?"

"Pfft...no," I respond, clearly lying. The name alone sends a sharp pang through my chest. I open the door to find Carlos and Evie standing before me, worry etched on their faces. Their presence, usually a source of comfort, now feels like a spotlight on my turmoil.

Evie speaks up, her voice gentle but firm. "I wouldn't dare say this in front of Mal, but..." She takes a deep breath, choosing her words carefully. "The way you two look at each other is nothing but true love—maybe."

"Evie has a point," Carlos adds, his tone supportive. "You may be from two completely different worlds, but the connection is there. We all see it."

I look down at the ground, my thoughts a chaotic swirl. The truth of their words hits me harder than I'd like to admit. "Guys?" My voice is barely a whisper.

They look at me, their expressions encouraging me to continue.

"I want to go back to the Isle of the Lost." The words hang in the air, heavy with the weight of my decision.

Carlos and Evie exchange a glance before Evie steps closer, her eyes searching mine. "Are you sure? It's dangerous, and you know how Mal will react."

"I know," I say, my voice gaining strength. "But I need to. I can't just leave things like this. I need to find Harry, and I need to understand what all of this means."

Carlos sighs but nods in understanding. "We're with you, Rosemary. No matter what."

Evie's eyes soften with compassion. "We'll help you. But we need a plan. We can't just rush back there without thinking it through."

"Thank you," I say, feeling a mix of relief and determination. "I appreciate it, really. I don't know what I'd do without you both."

"We're a team," Carlos says with a small smile. "And we're not letting you face this alone."

As we leave the bathroom, the noise of the cafe fades into the background. The decision to return to the Isle of the Lost feels daunting, but with Carlos and Evie by my side, I feel a renewed sense of purpose. The road ahead is uncertain, but for the first time in days, I feel like I'm taking control of my destiny.