Chapter Two

Badgertail paced repeatedly around the nursery, his flanks heaved as stress fought him for his breath. Although he did feel diligence for Somberpaw and how he worked, he was still worried, as this was the apprentice's first time delivering kits. It had felt like hours had passed by until Somberpaw stepped out, smiling. "You may come in now." His meow was hoarse from tiredness, but kindness could obviously be heard. Badgertail rushed in, he could see his mate in her nest, skinny as usual, but very tired. He then noticed 4 little tiny kittens squirming near Snowwhisper's belly. "They're beautiful." He purred as they nuzzled each other once. "She needs rest." He could hear Somberpaw's voice from the left. "And you have 2 toms and 2 she cats." "W-What should we name them?" Snowwhisper's cheerful but tired purr seemed to echo through the nursery walls. Badgertail looked at a silver tabby with darker stripes, a she cat. He licked it and it mewled loudly. "How about Seakit?" He suggested, returning his warm gaze back to Snowwhisper. "Its a lovely name." She then turned her gaze to a pale grey she cat, she was the tiniest out of the others. "How about.. Littlekit." She purred, nuzzling the tiny kitten. Badgertail nodded, looking at an all black tom except for a white tail tip. "This will be Sootkit." Snowwhisper licked Sootkit's head, and then turned her gaze to a small white and grey tom in the corner alone. She licked it as well to see what he looked like. An all white tom with grey paws and a grey tail tip. "This will be... Smokeykit." She rasped in a kind voice.