Chapter Nine

Hopestar burst into WaterClan camp, her eyes widened as she looked at the battleground. Blood was everywhere, along with many hissing MarshClan cats. She had lunged at a large black warrior ontop of Wolfpaw's back, he twisted and turned, failing to knock the black she-cat off.

As she succeeded in pulling the she-cat off, Badgertail let out a loud yowl, charging for what looked like a small brown tabby apprentice. The tabby quickly scampered out of the deputy's gaze, looking behind him as Badgertail turned. His pale brown pelt ruffled as he leapt for the deputy, landing and lunging for his neck. But, it had failed as a small tortioseshell and white she-cat clawed him off.

"Thanks Swiftpaw." Badgertail wheezed, nipping the tabby in the leg as it tried to scamper to safety.

Swiftpaw nodded as a reply, quickly hurrying over to the nursery, we're Softstep and Snowwhisper were protecting the kits. "W-whats going on?" A kit wailed.

"I don't know!" Another replied, obviously Foxkit.

Almost all of the kittens we're five moons now, but still had to be protected. Swiftpaw had clawed a large tom off of her, wailing as three more warriors cornered her. "Help!"

Hopestar had quickly rushed to her side, shoving a white she-cat away and clawing it on the shoulder. It let out a shriek and retreated into the undergrowth. She was then pinned down by a huge somali. She hesitated as she realized it's strength, struggling to break free of it's grip. It was Archstar!

Hopestar screeched as Archstar sunk his claws into her belly, whom was then lunging for her neck with vicious jaws, his yellow and crooked teeth just an inch before Swiftpaw landed onto him, swiping him off with all of her strength.

"There's a lot over here!" Birdcall yelped, biting and holding onto an apprentice's neck, slamming it into a rock as it then ran. She was guarding the elders, whom were huddled up together in their log den. Soon, Wolfpaw ran to her side, helping to fight off more MarshClan cats.

Hopestar wasn't paying attention, when Swiftpaw was knocked aside into the nursery wall, the breath taken out of her from Archstar.

"Swiftpaw!" A voice called. It was Spottedpaw, Swiftpaw's sister. The tortoiseshells looked so alike, apart from their eyes and personalities. Spottedpaw growled, clawing Archstar in the eye as he shrieked in agony. He as well knocked Spottedpaw away.

"Hurry! The elders are starting to fight off some warriors! Birdcall has been knocked unconscious!" Wolfpaw's mew rang across the clearing. Crabspeck, Whiteheart, and Robinwing ran to him, Hazelpaw soon joining her brother as well after hearing.

As they we're fighting, Hopestar leapt onto Archstar, her now blood stained claws gleaming as she scratched him. Archstar yowled and lunged at her neck successfully, Hopestar letting out a shriek as he bit down. She continued to kick his belly, causing him to let go. He fell onto the ground, Hopestar above him as she screeched. "I.. Will... Protect... My.. Clan!!"

Blood welled out of Archstar as claws sank into his throat, nipping him once to the side to expose his furry belly. She then released her claws, slicing him right down from belly to back paws. A scream of fury erupted from him, then broke off with a wheezing, choking sound. His paws convulsed as he tried to aim for Hopestar, successfully hitting her weakly once. But she paid no attention, as it was just a small scratch near her nose. For a heartbeat, there was stillness from Archstar as she clawed at him again, stopping after a few seconds and stepping off of him, her icy eyes burning with hatred.

Hopestar knew she was watching him slowly loose a life, his first. She watched coldly as he convulsed one last time, stillness flowing over his body for about a minute.

Archstar then stood up, blood oozing from his wound as he shrieked. "Retreat, MarshClan!"

MarshClan cats glanced at him in horror, escaping into the underbrush for safety, their leader close behind as Hopestar twitched her tail. "And don't come back!"

Sad meows echoed through the Clan as they stared at three dead cats. Robinwing, Hazelpaw, and Graveldust! The elder must have died protecting the others. Hopestar padded over to the scene, her eyes blotchy and moist as she stared at Graveldust. The cat whom had fathered her as a kit.

She then turned her head to Wolfpaw and Minnowpaw, whom both we're panting hard from the battle, fur twisted and knotted.

"Somberclaw." She meowed as the black tom stepped out of the medicine den. "Go check Wolfpaw and Minnowpaw for injuries, and do something about Swiftpaw and Spottedpaw. They we're beaten up pretty badly." She moved her tail to we're the two tortoiseshells laid unconsciously, their backs against the nursery wall as Somberclaw began to quickly drag them into his den. "And Birdcall too!" She called.

Badgertail had padded next to Hopestar, forcing a soft purr as he choked. "Well, i'm sorry about your father. But it will be alright, you still have your Clan."

Hopestar tried to reply, but a knot in her throat prevented her from doing so, so she just nodded.

Badgertail noticed a nasty wound around his leader's neck, obviously from the fight with Archstar. "Are you sure you don't want that checked?"

"I don't wish to be healed until I know my Clan is." She replied, glancing up at the stars, then whispering. "Is this what you meant, Troutpaw?"