Chapter 1: A Kooky Lesson

“Yo losers, I’m over here!” I call my friends out loud in this rackety cafeteria. They notice my waving hand and hurriedly make their way to the table that I’ve reserved for them.

One by one all of my looney friends arrive, and quickly sit down while placing their trays of ambrosian food down on the table. I immediately begin salivating at the plates of lasagna that Joni and Donnie brings over. Tamara and Natalie on the other hand decides not to eat anything, because let’s face it that’s what rich skinny girls do in order not to gain weight.

I didn’t have the money for such expensive lunches, but my mother would spare me some cash to buy it at least once a month.  I instead feast on the yummy chicken nuggets that my mother packed for me, so that I would survive another day at the incredibly overrated Chandler Academy.

 Chandler Academy has been dubbed as the best school in Sun Halo, New York. It always provides its students with the best of the best, but unfortunately that usually comes with a huge price. Over here, the food is always nutritional and fancy, which is uncommon in other public schools. The facilities such as the science labs are always equipped with state of the art equipment. Also, the classrooms are air conditioned and inside it digi boards are used to teach the students, instead of the classic black chalkboard. People say that a girl like me from a middle class family is really lucky to go to such an institution, but sometimes that’s kind of hard to acknowledge when I am constantly surrounded by snobs and know- it- alls.

However, in the past five years I’ve been here, I was lucky enough to find four friends who didn’t treat me like crap. These four people are none other than athletic Donnie, rebellious Joni, shy Natalie and talkative Tamara. I would also use a clichéd adjective to describe myself to, but I believe that I am more like a mixture of all of my friends’ personalities.

The first person I ever befriended over here was Tamara Eaton. Back in sixth grade, we were both paired up for a science project, and it basically ends with her doing none of the work and me angrily cutting off one of her blonde braids, as she took all the credit for all hard work I did. But, ever since then, we’ve come a long way and I slap her on the head occasionally when she says something stupid in her dumb country accent.

Two years later, I met Natalie Bridges during a school field trip to this shoe factory. She is so pale, that she happens to put Snow White to shame. She also has this uncanny resemblance to Kristen Stewart; even if she's a blonde.  I always compare her to a vampire since she doesn’t eat and is always quite and moody. But, at times she can be really funny and also helps me with my studies.

In the middle of 8th grade, I became overjoyed when I made two new friends. They are none other than the brother and sister duo Donnie and Joni Underwood. They are only one year apart and also look nothing alike.  Donnie happens to be the older brother, but it’s Joni who acts like the older sister.  Donnie is constantly goofing off and getting himself into trouble, whereas Joni is the responsible one who babysits her older brother. But, what makes the duo even more interesting is that, they both are gay. I was incredibly shocked when both of them came out together two years back, and I wonder how their parents felt about both their children coming out of the closet. I mean there’s nothing wrong with being gay, but damn!

“Oi Holly are you day dreaming again?” Donnie snaps me out of the flashbacks I was having.

“Nope!” I lie noticing that I have been drooling for a while now. I quickly wipe it away from my face it with a tissue whereas my friends silently laugh at me. What can I say, I really know how to display myself as an idiot.

“Alright then! What did you all do during your vacation?” Joni asks while taking a sip from her juice.

“I got a job at the petting zoo, Natalie went to Paris and Holly still has that same old ridiculous hair.” Tamara yet again insults my long, wild, curly brown mane of hair. Why don’t people understand what a cool hairstyle it is?