Mr. Collins

Keith held my hand the entire way to English class. I could hear my heart pounding so loud, I was sure everyone else could hear it the more his hand tightened with mine. But nobody said anything, and neither did I.

"I suppose you don't remember Mr. Collins, do you Charly?" Liz asked me as we walked down the hallway.

"No." I answered. 

"Obviously, Liz." Keith reminded her.

"He's our English teacher. A total ass hat, but so gorgeous." Jules exclaimed. "It's his second year here."

"And why is he an ass hat, do you ask?" Heather chimed in. "Because he's been out to get us since the day we met him last year in English. He calls on us for everything, in the middle of class. And he embarrasses us. Maybe he knows we're attracted to him." 

Liz giggled.

"If he knew that, he would have jumped Charly's bones already." She exclaimed. I glanced at her, narrowing my eyes.

"What?" I asked confused. Keith wrapped one arm around me and I inhaled the fragrance of strong cologne.

"That was a bet made a long time ago. We were broken up then for a little while." He explained.

"What bet?" I questioned. Jules leaned in towards me.

"Well, because you are so beautiful and popular Char," She started. "And since you're so confident about getting any guy you want,"

"I am?"

"We made a bet that there was a least one guy that you couldn't have that you wanted." Heather finished for her. I looked at them, still confused.

"Mr. Collins." Liz exclaimed. "Our English teacher. You'll see what we mean when we get to class."

"Don't worry about it, babe. It was a long time ago." Keith told me. He kissed the top of my head and my heart started pounding like a drum again.

The bell had rung and we still weren't in class. My friends and I had stopped outside of the bathroom near a secluded area. Everyone had gone to class and I couldn't see any teachers.

Keith kept his arm around me and pulled out a sheet of paper from his bag. 

"Is that the answer key for the test?" Liz asked him with a smile. He nodded and handed it to her.

"Yep. Algebra is kicking my ass." He answered as his arm tightened around me. I felt him kiss the top of my head and I could feel my cheeks start to heat up again. "It used to be so easy when Charly could just give us the answers. Now I have to make effort to take the answer key." 

"Yeah Char, you just had to be in the hospital all that time huh?" Heather asked jokingly. "But I say that with sensitivity." 

"Wait, I used to give you the answers?" I questioned Keith. 

"Well, yeah. You were always best at math." He said with a smile. He kissed my lips for a few seconds as he held me close. To be honest, I began to feel uncomfortable and inched away from him a little.   

"Um... I think we should get to class." I remarked.

"Look we know you have amnesia Char, but don't be a drag." Heather said. I tore my eyes from each of them. Liz stared at me as she handed the answer key to Jules. "By the way Walker, who dressed you this morning?" She asked. I looked down at my navy blue sweatshirt that was a little big for me and baggy jeans with converse sneakers. "You're looking smokin'." They all laughed. I tried not to look as hurt as I felt.