Chapter 3

Author's Note: So I just want to apologize for such a short chapter, but I just have plans for how I wanted this to go down and so that just means shorter chapters in the begining. But they will get longer eventually, don't worry!

Naruto ran for what felt like days but in reality, was only about a couple of hours. In his fox form, he made it pretty far from Iruka's cottage.

He finally began to slow down, realizing he had already left the familiar territory of the forest that demons had fled to. On the way, he passed by plenty of abandoned houses that once held demons but were now just reminders of the tragic defeat that happened those eleven years ago.

He paused in his walking, from where he was, he could see in the very far off distance, the battlefield where his father and mother had died. He sat on his haunches and waved his multiple tails forlornly.

He very rarely ever ran this far from Iruka's place when him and Kyuubi fought, to be honest, this was the farthest he probably ever got on his own.

Just when he was about to turn around and try to hopelessly find his way back, or at least get close enough for when Iruka and Kyuubi go looking for him it won't take them very long, a very delightful smelled wafted through the air.

Naruto carefully debated in his head whether or not he should follow his nose or just head back to Iruka and Kyuubi. It didn't take him long to make up his mind. With a determined foxy grin, he followed his nose towards the smell.

Sasuke Uchiha, aged eighteen, scowled for the umpteenth time today when his brother, Itachi Uchiha, aged twenty-one, stopped his horse. He pulled the reins on his own steed and waited for his brother's orders. "What are we doing?"

Itachi rolled his eyes at his brother's impatience before dismounting. "We're stopping to eat and rest."

"Rest?" Sasuke scoffed. "We've only been riding for three hours!" Despite his words of protest, he also climbed off his own horse and started to take out his stuff.

"Listen Sasuke, demon hunting is very serious. Even small demons are more powerful than us humans. We need to be at tip top shape at all times." Itachi took out his fire starting kit once he determined a good place for a fire pit. "Go look for some sticks to burn."

Sasuke mumbled to himself as he made his way into the forest. It didn't take him very long to find a decent amount of kindling. He threw it at his brother's feet and slumped onto a log as he watched his brother start a fire.

"You brought the fish that father told us to bring, right?" Itachi asked his little brother with a raised eyebrow.

"Hn." He went into his bag and pulled out the two fresh fish that were caught just before they left for their little quest.

Their father, Fugaku, wanted the two brother's to become the proud leaders of the Uchiha clan, making sure that they were exceptionally skilled at the art of demon hunting.

Now that the demon population has dwindled to less than half of what the population use to be, humans were slowly beginning to expand their territory. The Uchiha's were taking this advantage to exterminate demons, take their land and sell it to people for a very large profit.

The two brother's were assigned to go just past the edge of the territory to do some surveying and to exterminate any demon they may come in contact with.

"Thanks." Itachi replied as Sasuke handed him the fish. He set up a spit and kebabed the meat onto it and placed it over the fire, turning it slowly. The two brother's watched in silence as the fish started to cook.

There was rustling from the bushes and both brother's sat up, alerted. Itachi nodded to Sasuke as he began to pull out a weapon.

Both were surprised as a fox jumped out of the bushes and stared at the two humans in curiosity.

Both pairs of dark eyes widened at the sight. "Is that a-?" Sasuke looked up at his older brother, unable to form the words.

"A Nine-Tails." He managed to finish for him.