Chapter Nine

"So, you're a demon," I looked at him with a smirk.
"Yes, I did explain that when we first met. Why?"
"I don't know, I'm not sure if I believe you. What if I'm hallucinating everything?" I laughed and he smiled at me.
"Well, are you even a human? What if you're some ghostly ghoul I'm hanging out with."
"What makes you think I'm not human?" I asked out of genuine curiosity. Damien took a sip of tea and looked at me with a serious, yet fascinated face, "Cause you're not afraid of me."
I shrugged my shoulders and melted into the couch a bit more, "What is there to be afraid of? Then again, I don't fear much anymore." Damien looked at me concerned, but didn't say anything. There was a silence that filled the room. Damn it, did I just make things awkward?
"What makes you lack fear?" He asked trying to sound curious, but I knew he was worried. What should I tell him? Do I tell him the truth? Do I tell him a smart-ass answer?
"Well, for one, I'm sitting next to a demon," I paused, still unsure if I should tell him the truth, "two, uh- I don't think I can tell you yet." My heart is beating a million miles an hour.
"Oh, that's okay. Tell me when you're comfortable," he smiled at me. I returned the smile and began to relax. I glanced up at his face and found myself unable to look away. I'm mesmerized by that devilish face.

As day became night, we grew closer and closer. At least, that's how I felt. We cracked jokes the entire night. I just finished telling Damien a really corny joke. We're both laughing then his smile fades. "Juniper, I think it's time I show you my true self. I don't want to hide from you any longer," Damien said uneasily. I don't know what to expect. What does he mean by "true self"? I simply nodded my head. Damien sighed slightly, looked down, and covered his face with his hands. After a few seconds, he removed his hands and slowly looked back up at me. My whole body tensed and my eyes widened as I looked at him. His eyes glowing vibrant orange, half his face was bloody and melted, the other half was scaled like a snake. His teeth were rotten and missing. He's unrecognizable. His face went back to normal just as fast as it changed. I don't know what to say. My mind is void of everything. I am frozen, unable to move or react. "I'm sorry, I just thought it would be a good idea to show you who, no, what I am," Damien looked away and ran his fingers through his hair. I looked down and thought for a moment. Why didn't that make me stop loving him? I still feel the same way about him. Could it be true? Have I really fallen for a demon?

I placed my hand on his shoulder and smiled weakly, "I'm glad you showed me. "
Damien gave me a weird look, "Wait, why? I thought you would have run?"
"From what? I'm not afraid of you, you didn't hurt me, why would I need to run?"
"Fair point," he commented. I don't know what to do now. I hate awkward silence.