Chapter 5: Toss to me!!

Thursday morning, we practiced as usual. But this time, Hinata went all out. I did the same as well. I gave him my strongest jump serves and he was able to receive it.

"Don't go easy on me!" Hinata exclaimed.

"You asked for it!" I replied.

Ever since Sugawara-san came, we've been doing this for 15 minutes straight. When I said that it's time to call it a day...

"Not yet!!!" Hinata shouted. "The ball hasn't touched the ground yet!!!"

I got pissed and accidentally served the ball to a very far place.

"Geez, Kageyama you jerk!" Tanaka-san commented.

Aside from height and strength and his athletic talent, but just as much weapon. Even after he's dead tired and even when everything hurts, it's that rare ability... To make one more step forward. He received the ball, and returned it successfully.

"If I were you, I would've given that person a second chance. Wouldn't you do the same?"

Sakurai-san's word popped into my head. A second chance, huh. I raised both of my hands and threw a toss. Sugawara-san and Tanaka-san gave a surprised look on their face.

"A set?!" Tanaka-san exclaimed.

"He set the ball for Hinata?!" Sugawara-san said, surprised.

"But... " Tanaka-san continued. "I don't think that he's got any energy left to spike--"

Hinata smiled widely. He ran towards the ball and spiked it. After spiking it, Hinata got extremely tired and fell down.

"Yo," I said. "This Saturday, we're gonna win."

"Of co--Of course we're gonna--urp bhuuhaah..." Hinata panted, then he threw up.

From being the greatest enemies, to being the greatest teammates.

***

Friday, we practiced outside, and Hinata looks extremely happy and confident. I returned a ball to him and the ball hits his face.

"Quit daydreaming and concentrate!!" I scolded him. "The three-on-three match is tommorow!"

"Ow, I know that!" Hinata shouted. "Tommorow we're gonna win! Then they'll let us in the gym. Then we can start practicing for real!"

Hinata brought up about me being the setter and asked on what the other first years we'll be playing with are like.

"It doesn't matter who we're playing with." I said. "We don't have any choice but to win."

"I was gonna say that!" Hinata complained.

We continued our practice. But suddenly, the volleyball got stuck to a tree. Hinata climbed the tree to take it. We practiced until night. I was passing a ball to Hinata, but then...

"Wow, so you guys really are practicing outside." a person said and took the ball Hinata's about to receive above his head. "So, are you the two first years who slapped the problem child labels on your own foreheads? On your first day?"

"Yikes! T-shirts? Aren't you guys cold." another person added.

Those two people are the other first years who will be having a match against us tommorow. One of them is called Tsukishima, and the other one is called Yamaguchi. We argued for a while, then I declared that we're ginna win tommorow.

"Haha! Such confidence, I guess that's the King for you!" Tsukishima said out of the blue.

"Don't you ever call me--" I warned him.