3 - Your POV

Morning came and though your sister had managed to calm you down, you were exhausted from not sleeping and grumpy from a headache that had started pounding in your skull. Your timer seemed to slow down as you got around for the day. You showered, trying to convince the steaming water to wash away the bags under your eyes. It didn't, of course. You looked at your timer when you turned off the shower - 0:02:44:18. Okay. You could do this. Grabbing the makeup your sister had loaned you just for this occasion, you pulled up Skype on your phone to facetime your two friends and sister together. They all picked up quickly and fussed over your appearance. Your one friend wanted you to try an elaborate makeup look that she sent to you on Pinterest that involved a curling cateye and enough contouring to cut glass. The other friend wanted you to try a darker look with shadows everywhere and deep maroon lipstick. You sister finally smiled at you gently, "You can do this, [Y/N]. Just, I guess, do what you feel in your heart. What do you think your soulmate would like you to look like?"

You nodded, puffing breath out thoughtfully. "I think that I better just do this myself, guys. Thank you anyway."

Ending the call, you turned to your reflection and tried to remember what your sister said. But there were bees buzzing around in your skull and you couldn't even hear yourself think. Firstly, you threw back some pain meds for the headache and prayed that they'd work quickly. You checked your wrist. 0:02:21:03.

Just follow your heart. When the day came, you were supposed to just follow your heart and let it lead you to what you needed to do. Your soul would pull you to its mate. That's what everyone said. But it seemed like the universe was against you this morning.

When you were finally happy with your makeup - just a light brush of concealer and powder and a touch of mascara - it took the next forty-five minutes to pick out an outfit. Your timer now read 0:01:22:45, and you were starting to panic. You made yourself a cup of coffee, but your hands were shaking so bad that you managed to spill it down the front of your shirt. You stared at it for a moment, not entirely sure what to do. Then, in disgust, you yanked the shirt off over your head and stomped back to your room, rummaging in your drawers for something else. You finally found something that would work and went out to dump your coffee down the sink. Except, that's not how it worked. Of course it's not. Of course you managed to drop the cup just as you were closing the distance between the table and the sink, splashing the last of your hot coffee everywhere and shattering the mug. You released an expletive and checked your timer. 0:01:05:34. You did not have time for this, but you also didn't want to risk bringing your soulmate to your apartment if you had broken glass and coffee stains all over the floor. So, you grabbed a broom and towels and set to work cleaning up your mess. By the time you were done furiously scrubbing up the coffee, your hair was frizzy from sweat and your makeup was starting to run. You groaned and checked your timer - 0:00:52:56. Less than an hour? Great.

Anger started to replace your nervous excitement because of course this had to be the worst morning on what was supposed to be the best day of your life. Remnants of your headache still pulsed in the back of your head, only making matters worse. You washed off the last of your makeup and smoothed your hair down with some water, praying it would figure itself out by the time you met your soulmate. Then, realizing you only had 45 minutes left, you quickly slapped on some moisturizer, powder, and mascara and ran to get your coat. And that was when you realized that the boots you had set aside to wear had a hole in the heel.

What the actual hell.

You don't think you'd ever been this mad in your life. You grabbed the boots that you wear every other day in the winter - the ones you'd owned for more years than you can count and fit just right but weren't very pretty anymore but at least they didn't have freaking holes in them - and rushed out the door, zipping up your coat as you we t. Your wrist showed you only have 0:00:20:17 left.

And now came the tricky part. Where were you supposed to go? You tried to focus on the feather-light pull in the back of your brain, tugging you towards your soulmate, but your headache was still there and clouded the feeling. You set off anyway, and for whatever reason, coffee was on your mind. Like, a lot. You needed a cup of coffee. Right. Now. With this in mind, you beelined for the cafe two blocks away that you frequented enough to be on a first-name basis with the barista. There was a line of people in front of you, but all you could think about was how bad your head hurt and how much you hated makeup and hair and boots with holes and coffee mugs that break and clothes that stain. And where the hell was your soulmate? It's the day, it's time. You needed them. Where were they?

You gruffly ordered and took the mug before making your way to a window booth. Once you sat down, you squinted outside and tried to see if you could find your soulmate on the busy street. The timer on your wrist seemed to be slowing down now that the fury of this morning was over, but then it became unbearable. It read 0:00:03:56, and the seconds seemed to tick slower and slower as you watched.