Chapter one: The Surprise

~Last Time~ 

"Derrick I have something important to tell you... and I don't know how you are going to take it." 

~Now~

"What do you mean? Serenity, you know you can tell me anything. Whatever it is we are in this together. Does this have something to do with your parents? I already know they don't like me what did they say this time sweetheart?" Derrick's tone of voice changed from comforting to in a slight panic.

I glanced away from him more towards my fingers that were sitting lightly in my lap, once I looked up again I noticed how loud it was mostly from other couples having their own conversations. Which I was happy about mostly because no one then could hear what I was going to say to Derrick. The only light in there was from all the candles and lanterns, which frankly kind of made my eyes hurt. 

"Derrick, this has nothing to do with them. In fact they don't even know. However, they will find out. I had fell a little ill not too long ago. I tried my hardest to hide it from my parents and so far they don't know anything. I went to the doctor not to long ago."

Derrick looked like he was inpatient "Well are you okay?" he interrupted me, he just waited for me to say something. But he soon realized I was giving him a look he looked down towards the table as if he knew what he did. 

"I'm sorry... please continue. I promise I won't interrupt again." He told me before glancing up towards me again. I just shook my head and soon started again.

"The doctor did some testing and with a few questions and answers he concluded I was pregnant Derrick. Can you believe it we are going to be parents. Isn't that great news" I said excited trying to control my emotions about the situation. When I looked at him again I could see that smile on his face fall, almost like someone had just taken away his soul.

"Derrick? Did you not like my news? . . .I guess this wasn't the perfect-"

"I did like your news Serenity, I just don't know what your parents are going to think. Mine already know I'm a lost cause they have no hope for me. You want to keep this baby, yes? Then we need a plan. Were you planning on telling your parents?" He asked me quietly. What was I supposed to say to him, I didn't realize how much trouble we had gotten ourselves in. He can't pin this on me because it's not all my fault, he needs to take part of the blame as well. I didn't think this would be that hard of course. Soon our food at arrived and maybe that would help us both with our nerves because now my hands were shaking and I wasn't sure what to say or do.

Halfway into the dinner I was full, well I played it off that I was full I was more worried on what we were going to do. Soon Derrick was finished as well. He left the money on the table and helped me up out of the chair. We waved goodbye to the waitress and chef as we left. He helped me into the carriage again. I sat on the same side in the black carriage the seating was a dark purple velvet which made it a little warmer than the leather. He wrapped an arm around my shoulders and pulled my body close to his. He glanced down at me and gave a small smile before pecking me on the lips.

"I love you Serenity, and if you want to have this baby I will be more than happy to help provide not only for you but for the baby as well. I know we are really young, possibly too young but I want you to be happy. So, what do you suggest we do. I mean I don't think we can stay here and live out our lives like we want to with a baby."

I looked at him as he spoke and everything he was saying to me was as if he wanted to run away or was suggesting it. "Are you saying we should run away? And live on our own. Do you even think we can make it out in the world like that?"

"Serenity, sweetheart, the 1900's are just around the corner, the possibilities are endless. Corporations are going up, jobs are opening up for people. Literature and poetry are making a big turn around things you really love. Maybe you can teach a few people on how to read, kind of like how you taught yourself. Serenity we can't give up hope, so yes I'm suggesting we run away."

Running away, with Derrick to start a life with him, did he even know where we were going to go?