Chapter 2: My New Roommate

I never was a fan of science-fiction, but I immediately felt like this predicament would make a great plot for one. Unsure of what to do, I stood there for a full minute, arguing with myself about the pros and cons of having a beautiful-albeit murderous-girl in my room. I finally decided that I would wait until morning to make a decision, but in the meantime, it would be best if Monika was restrained before she could recover. So I lifted her up in my arms, and carried her to my room.

It was slow going. Don't get me wrong, I am a reasonably strong person. But I didn't want to drop Monika, regardless of whether she's a terrible person or not. And my legs had turned to jelly, because come on, I was holding a real live girl, from a video game. So, I stumbled up the stairs to my room. I placed her in a swivel chair next to my desk, where I usually work on my college homework. I pulled her away from my desk to the foot of my bed. Then I brushed my brown hair out of my eyes.

"Now to make sure you don't go anywhere," I told the unconscious Monika. I looked around, but I couldn't find anything in my room to restrain her. At least, nothing but the belt of my robe. But was I really going to remove my robe in the proximity of a girl, unconscious or not? The decision took longer than it probably should have.

"Screw it." I undid my belt, and tossed my robe aside, then dragged Monika's arms behind her back, and bound them together. Now I felt safer, but a little nuder, too. It probably had something to do with the fact that I was only in my boxers and a tank-top. Not having anything else to do, I just decided to watch her until he wakes up. Yes, I know how bad that sounds. A twenty-one-year-old guy in his underwear sitting on the edge of his bed, watching the sleeping girl he has tied to a chair. Cut me some slack, here, though. After all, I was still recovering from the fact that I 3D printed a living, breathing human girl. And, I was somewhat nervous Monika was gonna wake up and attack me.

My alarm went off about 6:00, telling me class would start about 8:00, but it was Sunday, so no college. I guess I finally dozed off during the night, because I lurched awake. For half a second, I thought the events of last night were a dream. Then I saw Monika sitting in front of me and that hope was dashed to a million pieces. Then I noticed she was awake, as well.

"Hi!" she said again, her voice still happy and upbeat. "I'm Monika, and welcome to..." her voice trailed off for a second, and then I guess she must've realized she wasn't in the literature club, or even in my computer, for that matter. "Wait, where am I?" she asked me nervously. "This isn't the literature club! Who are you? Why am I tied up?" I looked at her.

"You don't remember anything from last night?" I asked her.

"No, but you look really familiar," she told me. Then it hit her. "Abe, is that you?!" I sighed.

"Yeah, Monika, it's me," I told her. "I guess you would've at least remembered me, huh?" Monika smiled lovingly.

"Of course I would, sweetie. You're the love of my life," she crooned. "Now I see that you've somehow abducted me out of my digital confinement, so we can be together forever." I laughed loudly and somewhat harshly at that.

"Sure, sure," I scoffed. "And we'll get married and have ten kids. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm hosting home group tonight, and could do without you causing problems." Monika giggled.

"Oh, I see," she smiled. "We're playing a game of damsels and abductors! You're the obsessed stalker, and I'm the willing victim." I was about to retort that what she said wasn't the case in the slightest, but then I realized it would be less of a hassle if she believed that. So I went with it.

"Yep, that's right," I told her, smiling. Actually, it was more of an uncomfortable grimace, but Monika didn't seem to notice. All the while, she smiled at me. And it freaked me out. So to get my mind off her, I grabbed my clothes for the day out of my dresser, took a shower, got dressed, ate breakfast, and started preparing the house for home group. But every time I walked back into my bedroom, Monika was still sitting in there. And every time I turned to look at her, she smiled at me. It got to me every time. Finally, as I was vacuuming, I made a mental plan. "Okay," I told myself. "I just have to last through home group, and then I can figure out what to do with Monika."

Home group started at 3:00. (Yes, I believe in God. If video game characters are created beings, who's to say we aren't?) The members came in, one at a time: First Nathan, then Greta and Mikey, Eric and Zoe, and Maverick, though we all called him Mav. We all sat down around my living room, prayed, and got ready to start.

"Hello?" called a voice from upstairs. "Abe, who's down there?" My friends all looked up, surprised.

"Who was THAT?" asked Greta. I cursed inside my head. I should've told Monika to keep quiet when she heard voices. But it was too late now. So I thought of the first logical idea I could come up with.

"I have a new roommate," I told them. "She arrived only yesterday." That actually wasn't true. She appeared very early this morning, but whatever. Mikey looked at me, intrigued.

"How interesting," he said, "that Abe would get a female roommate, instead of a male." I glared at Mikey, annoyed.

"It's not that kind of roommate, Mikey!" I growled. Mikey gave me an irritating grin he does whenever he knows he's annoyed you. Mav, my best friend out of the lot, spoke up.

"Can we meet her?" he asked. I should've known that was coming. Still, I nodded, and headed up to my room. Inside, Monika still sat there, tied to the chair. She smiled when she saw me.

"Hi, sweetie," she grinned. "What're you doing down there?" I approached her, and whispered in her ear.

"Listen," I told her quietly, "I'm going to untie you from this chair, but I need you to promise me something. Act like a normal girl from a normal world when you come downstairs to meet my friends. If you do that much for me, I won't tie you back up again. Deal?" Monika looked at me, the smile still on her face.

"You got it," she grinned.

"Okay," I sighed. I untied my robe belt which bound her wrists behind her. She stood up from the chair, and gave me a hug. "Now, let's go meet my friends," I said. "And see how many are left alive when this is all over."