Chapter 1 (Gale)

The fog hangs in the air with a silence so eery that I have to whistle to myself so that I don't shiver. As I make my way to the Bear Rock I note that there are no forest sounds, the birds and insects seemed to be sleeping in this morning. A luxury that I cannot afford I think angrily. If I can get some game before I find Katniss then maybe we can just take it easy, find some berries and do some more angry ranting. That's always fun.

The thought dies in my mind as I approach our rock where Katniss sits. I know that look. That's her somebody-did-something-that-hurt-Prim's-feelings-and-I-couldn't-do-anything-about-it look.

I drop my game bag at the foot of the rock and lean my bow against a stump then I clamber onto the boulder. "What happened?" I ask her.

"Prim's goat ate Cray's garden. He shot her and sold the meat to the butcher. We didn't get a cent." she fumed dejectedly. Then Katniss met my eyes and asked, "how's your ankle?"

"Fine. But you knew that." I handed her the squirrel that I had snared earlier. "How's Prim dealing?"

She gives me a long sideways look. "That bad huh?"

"Yes. And now I'm supposed to find her a new money-sucking something or other." she gives me that other, absolutely irresistible look.

"So, what did she have in mind? I did help buy the goat." she smiles and that makes it all worth it.