Katniss

I awake from the dream that I just can't shake with fear in my heart. But it fades when I roll over, Peeta's gone. He is often already awake when I wake up, making breakfast for our early waking children. I step out of bed and ghost down the hall. The kids are asleep, so where's my husband. I shudder a little at the thought of my dream. I've been living this peaceful life for four years now, Peeta beside me; Finnick Gale Mellark joined us two and a half years ago and Rue Primrose Mellark one year ago. But I've feared the end of the peace ever since I found out that I was pregnant with Rue. I feared Peeta would realize that it was just after I took a solo vacation to District 2. Where Gale lives...

It was too hard to hate him. To not see him. It was like a gaping hole everyday. I kept expecting him to just appear and finish my sentence. Or call me Catnip just one more time. It was like losing the other half of my mind. I still go to the woods. Peeta is great, loyal, compensating, sweet. Just like a best friend who's kisses I dodge. He just doesn't fit me like Gale did. It was like his body was melded to fit me with it. Gale knew exactly what to do if I broke down. He never reassured me with fake promises, he just sat with me, accepting, feeling.

I hear a sound, pounding, groaning, it sounds like someone's getting beat. It sounds like Peeta. My feet are rushing down the hall before my brain processes. I run out the door, to the shed, and fling open the door. Three pairs of eyes stare in utter shock. My platinum, Peeta's denim, and Rory Hawthorne's sterling.

"Peeta? Rory?" I ask. No bruises. What I thought could only have been a beat down was apparently a make out session. I do a double take and still don't comprehend. Peeta, who I gave up everything for, who followed me around like a puppy, who broke Gale's heart, has been having an affair for God knows how long with Gale's little brother. Really?