Old Friends

New York

December, 1876

Freshly fallen snow sparkled in the sunlight. On the outer edge of New York City, a black carriage was alone in going through the snow, making the first tracks in the snow, though several people were walking on the sidewalks. Inside the carriage, under several blankets, two fashionable young ladies were looking out their respective windows at the slowly passing buildings.

“Are you absolutely sure this is where we should be?” the fair haired of the two asked, glancing over at her companion. “This seems to be a very people filled area for a wanted fugitive to be living.”

“Jane Martin! Are you trying to infer that I could have possibly have guessed wrong in this?” the dark haired beauty asked in astonishment, turning to face her cousin. “We are going in exactly the direction we should be, if our driver is to be believed! Katherine would hardly become a hermit now, would she? In a place where there is enough privacy but still among people is exactly the kind of neighborhood I would expect to find her.”

Shaking her head, Jane Martin looked back out the window. “We should have at least sent a message ahead,” she said. “Katherine may know that your parents were bringing us with them to America, but after two years apart, simply dropping on top of her out of nowhere might not be the proper thing to do.”

“Proper thing to do?” Michaela D'Arcy mocked with a laugh. “Who cares for proper? It will be like old times!”

Jane chuckled. “Old times, cousin?” she repeated. “How many times did we do this to Katherine in Paris? About twice, as far as I can remember.”

“You see? It was practically a habit! And I'm sure it was a few more times than that.”

Her eyes catching sight of a wall like row of trees, Jane leaned forward for a better look. “Oh, look,” she said. “I think there's a house in there.”

Quickly, Michaela leaned across Jane to see for herself. “Ha!” she cried in victory. “I told you we would find Rose Lodge! And just think, if we'd tried to send a message, it might never have gotten through this snow!”

Just barely keeping from rolling her eyes, Jane pushed her cousin away. The carriage rolled past a wrought iron gate, and then, as they drew closer, a large white house could be seen in more detail. It was surrounded by large oak trees, and thick bushes very nearly hide the windows.

“Its perfect!” Jane breathed, noting the black shutters that hung on every window and the intricate wood work that added that little note of interest to the house.

Two dark skinned servants were hard at work, clearing the snow from the walk and up to the stables. The carriage pulled right up to the front door, and Michaela pushed the door open, not waiting for the driver to do so. “Its beautiful!” she declared, stepping out to the ground. She stood in one spot, staring up at the house. “It fits Katherine exactly!”

“Michaela, I need to get out to,” Jane reminded patiently. She prodded her cousin's shoulder with her finger. “Step ahead or to the side, please.”