The Past

With a sigh, Henri accepted the glass that Erik offered him. “Its a bad business, to be sure,” the oder man commented. They were in the library at Rose Lodge. Crutchie and Pip had been sent off to the kitchen. “The de Chagnys have better things to worry over than whether or not you have a decent enough life.”

“And yet, here we are,” Erik responded.

“Well, I believe I shall be able to help you, at least as far as Arden is concerned,” Henri said decisively. “You see, he is wanted for murder.”

Sitting up straighter, Katherine frowned. “Murder?” she repeated, her tone shocked. “I mean, I can believe that he is capable of killing, but who did he kill?”

Henri sighed. “Your brother.”

Instantly, Katherine choked on the lemonade she'd developed a taste for during her pregnancy. “What? Pierre is dead?”

Her father nodded. “I will be the first to say there was no love lost between myself and my step-son, but the way he died...no one deserves that,” he admitted. “I'll spare you the gruesome details, my dear. Khan, actually, was the one to bring me the news. You see, I'd hired the man to find your brother on your mother's request. She did dote on Pierre. She did not take the news well.”

Breathing out, Katherine shook her head. “But why would Arden have killed him?” she asked, feeling a bit guilty that she didn't feel anything on hearing of her half brother's fate. “I thought they were friends.”

“They were, and there is no proof of what I suspect. I asked Khan to halt the investigation. Finding the killer wouldn't bring Pierre back for your mother,” Henri admitted. “Pierre was never himself after I threw him out, and he was only ever in Arden's company. Carlotta left him, you know. Because of his change in fortune, and because she learned what he'd done.”

Erik took up position behind his wife. “And what was that?” he asked.

“Killed Ubaldo Piangi.”

Swiftly, Katherine looked up at her husband. “He was jealous of the man, I know,” she said, her mind connecting the dots. “He was always backstage, trying to get Carlotta's attention. If he found Piangi unconscious, as Erik had left him, he could have seen it as an opportunity to finally have what he wanted.” She shook her head. “I can hardly my brother capable of taking someone's life!”

“Khan was certain Pierre had done it, just as certain as I am that Arden is behind Pierre's death.”

“If Khan is as honorable as you say, why would he accept employment from a man he knows to be a murderer?” Erik asked.

Sighing, Henri lifted his shoulders. “As I said, I requested him to stop, so he may not know.

“So if there is no proof, how will this help you?” Katherine wanted to know. “You know what Arden is capable of, Papa. I don't want to see you get hurt.”

With a chuckle, Henri caught her hand and kissed her fingers. “I have influence here, Katherine,” he informed her. “I've long done business with several men who live here. I will alert them to the situation, inform them that Arden is suspected of murder, and they will arrange his transport back to Paris.”

“You seem very sure of yourself,” Erik remarked.

“Arden has caused my family enough harm,” Henri responded. “I do not intend for him to continue doing so.”

“I find that knowing this about him only makes me more terrified of him,” Katherine admitted. She smiled as her husband squeezed her shoulder. “He is truly a madman.”