Twists and Turns

April, 1877

“I have no idea what I would have done without you, Meg,” Christine said as she stepped foot for the first time on American soil. She was carrying her six month old daughter, Cordelia, in her arms. “You've been wonderful with Gustav.”

With a laugh, Meg led the rambunctious four year old by the hand. “You know I love your children,” she responded. “And would I have missed the chance to travel away from Paris?”

It was then that Meg caught sight of her mother for the first time in over a year. With an understanding smile, Christine reached over and took her son's hand, freeing Meg to do as she desired. A rare, fond smile on her face, Madame Giry was coming towards them. Lifting the hem of her skirt up, Meg hurried to meet her mother, embracing her tightly.

Though she too was pleased to see the woman who had been as another, Christine stayed back. “What a vile place,” Philippe condemned, glancing around the docks with a grimace. “I don't see what the charm is that draws so many people here. Give me Paris any day.”

Coming up beside his wife, Raoul responded to Gustav's demands and picked the boy up.“Well, once this engagement is done, we won't have to stay long,” Christine said with some regret. She sent a smile at her husband. “I hope I will have some free time to explore with you Raoul. What a fantastic place this is!”

“As long as your red scarf doesn't blow into the sea,” Raoul teased, tugging at the red fabric around her throat.

With her arm around her mother's waist, Meg returned to them. “Mother, you remember Christine and the viscomte,” she said, beaming with happiness. “And this is the Comte de Chagny, Philippe. He's the one who arranged for us all to come.”

Surprise widened Madame Giry's eyes. “Monsieur le comte,” she greeted, with a respectful nod of her head. Christine frowned at her old friend's strange reaction. “I am here to escort you to the lodgings the managers have secured for you. If you will please follow me.”

Philippe caught sight of a familiar tall figure leaning against some cargo that had been brought from the ship. “If you'll excuse me for a moment, I will catch up,” he said. He hurried away before anyone could say a word.

“Madame, its so good to see you again,” Christine said to her former ballet instructor. “ You must tell me how it came about that you crossed an ocean and without Meg!”

Across the dock, Khan straightened up as Philippe approached. “My lord,” the Persian man said.

“What news have you?” Philippe asked eagerly.

“I regret to inform you that I have no news,” Khan responded. “You were mistaken in your information. There is no monster here.”

Scowling, Philippe shook his head, rejecting the information that he didn't want to hear. “Your last message said that you had discovered Katherine Hemway and her husband,” he argued. “How can you now be telling me that the man is not here?”

“Erik Ombra is well known in society,” Khan answered. “His advice is sought by many men, and hostesses beg for him to accept their invitations. Hardly the thing you'd expected from a deformed monster.”

Suspicious, Philippe frowned at him. “You're hiding something from me.”

“I regret you had to make such a long, unpleasant journey, my lord,” Khan said. “I can search no further for you, and will be returning to Paris as soon as is possible.”

The French lord shook his head. “I'm disappointed in you, Khan.”

“Did Monsieur Arden not travel with you?”