Escape

“Well, this is a problem.”

With a groan, Crutchie forced his eyes open. He felt a sharp burst of panic when he realized that his hands were tied behind his back. The ropes were biting into his wrists, and tugging only made it worse. “Its not going to do you any good,” Pip commented from across the room. “I'm serious when I say that this is a problem.”

Giving up trying to get his hands free, Crutchie shot his younger friend a sharp look. “Did you just now know that, or did you have to think about it for a little while?” he asked. The younger boy shrugged in response. “Do you have any idea where we are?”

Sighing, Pip glanced around the wood walls, and the piles of containers that surrounded them. “I think we're in the attic of the opera house,” he answered.

“Why are we here?”

Shrugging again, Pip leaned his head back. “Who would look for us here?” he responded. “What I want to know is who is that guy working with that he was able to get us in here? Someone would have had to run interference for that stupid Arden to drag you and me in here. Two unconscious kids has to look suspicious.”

“Does it make you feel better to insult the guy who kidnapped us?”

“Well, it doesn't make me feel any worse.”

Frustrated, Crutchie jerked at his bonds one more time, just to be certain. “Why would this Arden guy take us?” he asked, vaguely remembering the man that had come from behind and the hand that had held a strange smelling cloth over his mouth.

“To get back at Erik and Katherine,” Pip responded. “He hasn't hurt us so we're probably just a distraction.”

“He's going to hurt Miss Katherine, and Mister Erik.”

For the first time, Pip looked helpless, nodding in agreement. Crutchie scowled. “We have to get out of here! Is there anything you can reach over there that can get us free?”

Pip shook his head. “I don't think Arden was considerate enough to put us anywhere something useful,” he said sarcastically. “The next time we see him, we'll just have to tell him to keep that in mind for the next time he kidnaps kids.”

“Really, you two need to hush or you'll wake the baby. And it took me so long to get her asleep.”

Both boys jerked upright at the woman's voice. “Maeve?” Pip recognized, his tone incredulous at the red haired young singer walked out from around a pile of old props. She held the sleeping Cordelia in her arms. “You? What-? I don't understand!”

“What is there to understand?” Maeve asked, bouncing slightly. “I was asked to keep you here, out of the way, so that's what I'm doing. The other little boy had to be gagged because he kept crying and bothering this little angel.”

The boys looked at each other. “Why?” Crutchie asked.

“I imagine he misses his mother.”

Rolling his eyes, Pip made an exasperated sound. “We know why the boy would be sad,” Crutchie said, trying again. “Why are you doing this?”

“Well, that's not what you asked.”

“Stop trying to play dumb, Maeve,” Pip snapped, his tone impatient. “You know what we're asking now, so just tell us!”

The red haired woman sent him a sharp look. “I don't like your tone, boy,” she said sharply. “Just because you were his pupil first doesn't mean that you are more important than me. I'm the one who appreciated his lessons, and became a star!” She grimaced. “I was before that Christine de Chagny came!”