Family

The look in Erik's eyes was dark and a bit terrifying. “Erik...” Katherine said, struggling to find the words to say. He didn't say anything, just took her arm in a tight grip. People were quick to get out of their way as they moved towards the door. Katherine sent an agonized look over her shoulder at Jane.

“Oh, this is not good,” Jane breathed. She darted into the crowd, and found Michaela laughing with a man dressed as Napoleon Bonaparte. Grabbing Michaela's arm, Jane offered an apologetic smile. “Excuse me. I need my cousin for a moment.”

“Jane, what's wrong?” Michaela asked as her cousin pushed her through the room. “I liked that one. He was amusing.”

Pausing, Jane spotted the strange man who had danced with Katherine. He was following the couple towards the door. “Cousin, do you see that man with the turban?” she asked. Frowning, Michaela followed her gaze and nodded. “He threatened Katherine, and we have to stop him from finding out where she and Erik live. Can you do that?”

The smile that came to Michaela's face was almost as terrifying as the look that had been in Erik's eyes. “Oh, yes, I can do that,” she said. She moved at a pace just under a run, that somehow still managed to look calm and dignified. She caught up to the man in the foyer. She saw Katherine and Erik go out, and grabbed onto the turbaned man. “Oh, there you are!”

“I'm sorry, miss, you have the wrong person,” the man said coldly, shrugging her off. He barely even glanced at her.

“I'm sure I haven’t! We met in Paris, didn't we? At the Viscomte de Chagny's house?”

At the name, the man went still and then slowly turned. He studied her with a frown. “You must be mistaken,” he insisted.

“Really? Was it the Opera Populaire then?” Michaela pressed on, making her eyes wide. “There must be somewhere we met because I have seen you before. What is your name?”

“Ahmir Khan,” he answered automatically and then looked angry. “Who are you, you impertinent child?”

Offended, Michaela put her hands on her hips. “Child? Do I look like a child to you?” she snapped back, glad of the mask that hid her identity. “I assure I am no child, Mr. Khan!”

Rolling his eyes, Khan hurried out the door. Michaela scowled as she tried to think of what to do next. “The fireworks are about to begin!” a shout went up from the ballroom. Innumerable guests hurried for the closest door to be out where they could see. Michaela's scowl turned into a grin as she stepped out the front door. Khan was surrounded by people and was looking up and down the street in search of his quarry.

Pleased, Michaela walked back to the ballroom where Jane caught up to her. “Did you do it?” the blond asked, worriedly.

“I did,” Michaela said in satisfaction. “He lost them. But I think we should leave before he decides he must come after us instead. And you have to tell me what's going on.”

~*~

Sitting at the piano, Pip let his fingers move across the keys with the smooth grace he'd earned from his instructor over the past year. He grimaced as he hit the wrong note. Picking up the quill, he made a change to the music spread in front of him. He hummed the notes he had written, lightly tapping the beat on the keys.

The slamming of a door caught his attention and pulled him from his music. Quickly, he rolled the sheet music up and blew out the candle. On his tiptoes, he raced for the open door and slipped into the hallway.

“Erik, please! You're going to wake Pip!” he heard Katherine hiss, making him pause on his way to his room. After all this time, that's all he ever thought of her as: Katherine. She was like a big sister, he supposed.