Chapter 49

We'd been planning, now, for two weeks and I didn't want to jinx it, but everything was going along brilliantly! The private room Christian suggested at Canlis was available on the tenth, so Andrea had booked it. We'd met with the Executive Chef who was over the moon when he realized he'd be catering for the illustrious Christian Grey's wedding reception. He'd promptly signed an NDA, and sworn not to tell a soul, so the event was booked in ostensibly as my birthday party.

Reverend Walsh had confirmed the church was good to go, and Gail and I had an initial meeting with Neil from Brilliant Bayside Blooms and discussed ideas which would be finalized once I'd settled on a color scheme for the event. With other small elements coming in to place I only had three things to decide. A color scheme, a cake, and my dress. Appreciating the dress would set the tone for the flowers and color scheme I resolved to tackle that first.

After looking online, I decided on one particular boutique. Run by a designer, she showcased her own gowns as well as those of other high-end designers. From my investigations online, there were several I wanted to try on, so I was confident I could find something there. Andrea had arranged an appointment for Friday night after closing hours, so tonight she, Gail and I would be going to choose my gown.

"Are you excited about tonight?" Gail asked me over breakfast. In the past, she would never have dared talk so casually in front of Christian, but we'd all relaxed a little over the past few weeks.

"I guess," I said, putting on a smile I didn't really feel.

Christian looked up from his egg-white omelet. "Anastasia? What is it? Is this about your mother again?"

I shrugged, but the tears in my eyes said it all. When I'd rung my mother to ask her and Bob to come to Seattle for a week, my treat, she'd said no. So then I'd offered to fly them in just for my birthday weekend, but she'd again begged off. I didn't want to tell her about the baby, engagement, and wedding over the phone, so in the end, I'd said I understood, hung up, then dissolved into a mass of tears. Christian had consoled me, tucked me into bed, and then disappeared into his study for fifteen minutes. When he returned, he told me through gritted teeth that Bob and my mother would arrive the Sunday before Labor Day and would be in Seattle a week staying in a Corner Suite at the Fairmont Olympic. No matter how much I pressed, he'd refused to tell me what he'd said to my mother to convince her to come, or why she was staying at a hotel and not with us.

"I guess I always thought when I chose my wedding dress my Mom and best friend would be there," I said, erupting into tears. Christian stood up and held me close as I wept into his shirt. "I know Mom can't be, but I wish Kate could be."

"Then take her."

I pulled my head from where it was nestled into Christian's shoulder.

"Really?" I asked, crying with happiness, now.

"Of course!" he said as though it was the most obvious thing in the world, but in truth it probably was. "She already knows about the baby and hasn't said a word to anyone. This is your big day. If you want Kate there when you choose your dress, then tell her."

"I love you, Christian Grey," I said flinging my arms around his neck.

"I know. I'm a lucky bastard," he replied smugly before kissing me.

 I'm a lucky bastard," he replied smugly before kissing me