CHAPTER 8 All Better

Nick looked at her in alarm.

I'm sorry I didn't mean to make you cry! I was trying to be nice- although it's not hard to be nice to you or-"

"It's not that, it's just you are the only person who has ever said anything like that to me." Quincey cut him off from his apologizing rant.

"W-what do you mean, you've never been complemented before!"

Nick looked into her tear stained eyes and saw a sadness that was more than just never being complemented. he took her hand in one of his and cradled her arm in the other and lead her over to the couch.

"Hush now it's ok." He gently brought his hand up and wiped away her tears with his thumb.

Quincey looked up into his eyes and smiled, though tears still slowly dropped. She looked down removing her chin from his hands.

She took a deep breath," I was an orphan. I was never adopted no one ever took me as there own and made me feel special like all the other kids. I went through the system till they kicked me out when in turned 18 no job no nothing so I wandered and looked till I found this lab. They taught me and trained me and here I am. Yea I'm glad I'm here but, they don't show me much compassion." Quincey stared down at her lap as her tears slowly subsided.

"Well, I understand now." Nick said

He wrapped his well toned arms around her. She slowly moved and began to return the hug. Nick let go after a long while and smiled.

"All better?"

"All better," Quincey smiled back.