Chapter 12: Friends

Alone ~12

Claire Johnson

"Thank you for coming out with me," I spoke once I sat down from getting my ice cream. Shawn and I playfully argued for ten minutes figuring out who was going to pay for my meal. I had argued with him that I was the one who had invited him and also I was the only one who was eating. Shawn being him, had refused for me to pay that he reached over the table to take my wallet from me and put it into his back pocket. He pulled out his own credit card and payed for my meal. 

It wasn't so hard to find the restaurant. As soon as we were off the resort premises, the main road had plenty of options to choose from. Shawn decided it would have been a great idea to walk a little farther down the road so we could talk more. Shawn choose a restaurant that was based off the ratings on his phone,but also a place that wasn't crowded with many people. He was also thinking he did not want us to be disturbed while I tried to eat and he didn't seem very sure of wanting to leave me out of his sight unless I was going to the bathroom.

Having each other as company was something I really enjoyed so far. He has been very understanding and I was able to take my mind away from the call. I knew Shawn was trying to keep my mind elsewhere and it was really helping. He started talking about himself and he would say a few random facts, I'm sure he only shared this with his friends. He talked a lot about his home in Canada, his friends and family. He also talked about ice hockey and it seemed something he has always liked to do for fun. He reminded me of Justin Bieber for a split second and he then went into how he started doing covers on youtube and vine.

"I liked coming out with you," Shawn said. What I really liked for once was that his full attention was on me. I'm usually the not the one who liked having too much attention, but he made it seem like he was interested in actually talking to me and hanging out with me. It was nice that he never went on his phone the whole time and he really wanted to engage in a conversation. I liked that he put effort of really being here with me. "I should be thanking you that you invited me. It was really nice to see you again today."

I wasn't sure how he had so much of an effect on me already, but I think he noticed. He did not point anything out and he did not seem like the kind of person to constantly tease someone. I'm sure I was blushing, because my cheeks were heating up and I felt slightly nervous. My mind felt relaxed, but at the same time it was swarming of thoughts about Shawn. He seems like a prince charming from a fairytale and I was currently living under a spell.

"And I should be thanking you for everything you've done for me today. You really didn't have to pay for me."

"Just so you know, I rarely ever do this. I really wanted to anyway." He smiled and I felt the heat rising in my cheeks once again. I wonder if he has a girlfriend. Shawn now raised an eyebrow amused and I was confused as to what I may have just said. "I used to have a girlfriend. We're not together anymore and haven't been for quite some time."

"Ohh..." I said slowly. "I said that out loud?"

"It's okay," he chuckled. "Well since I've answered. I'm wondering if you've... had a boyfriend? I know you said a few things earlier."

"No, never," I shook my head feeling embarrassed by the question. Shawn nodded and I could tell he was in a way glad to hear I was single? When our waiter had came back with Shawn's credit card, she had him sign the receipt before thanking us for coming. Shawn stood up and I took that as we were getting ready to leave.

I'm really glad he has accompanied me here tonight. After getting the call from the Doctor, Shawn was able to keep me company and help keep my mind off the negativity of everything. Being me, at first I was hesitant of calling Shawn. I knew he had just visit for a short few minutes before to give my phone back to me, but my head was telling me that I had a certain trust in him even though I've met him today.