Baking A Killer Opening Scene

Written by @TimeforCoffee

Opening scenes are one of the most important parts of a story. It’s where the reader will decide whether he wishes to continue reading or not. You only have one chance to capture his attention or he won’t hesitate to slam the book shut. 

Some people believe that writing an opening scene is as easy as pie. It doesn't seem hard: place the characters in a location, and give them a problem to solve. 

But creating the beginning of a story is like baking a pie: it requires patience and a lot of hard work. While it’s true that there are simple steps to follow, one must also learn how to apply them in a correct manner. This article will teach you how to come up with a killer opening scene that will knock the socks off your readers.

Before you begin, note that there is no specific number of steps to making a good opening scene. Like baking, you must follow the recipe, but you can also tweak the instructions, experiment, and let creativity fly from your fingertips. Don’t be afraid to be original; readers love new ideas (as long as you execute them well).

1. Stray from the cliché. Cliché openings will turn your reader off, especially if he has already seen a story with a beginning like yours. An example of an infamous opening is: starting with your character waking up in the morning. If you wish to start your story with a popular setting, make it as interesting as possible, or you’ll risk losing your readers.

2. Give details about your character’s location. When starting a story, add a brief description of your character’s surroundings. Leave enough detail so that your reader can imagine a scene in his head, but avoid focusing too much on the setting. Your reader is eager to leap into the action, and he won’t sit still for an overly descriptive paragraph of a place.

3. Use the five senses. Like your reader, your character has five senses: sight, hearing, taste, smell, and touch. Take advantage of this, and use it to plunge your reader into the world of your book. Allow him to explore the sensations and emotions that your character experiences. This will help him become attached, and you can play with his sympathy throughout the chapters. The deeper you can drag him into your story, the better. Refrain from writing too much detail though, or you’ll lose your reader in a tornado of words.

4. Leap into action. Don’t waste too much time describing your character’s appearance or location. Your reader thirsts for adventure and excitement, and you must provide it as soon as you can. Once you secure his attention into the book, you can dive deeper into explanations if you wish. But you must first shove him into the world of your character.

5. Do more showing than telling. Avoid telling facts to your reader. Instead, show them to him. Paint vivid images for him to drink up. Does your character have a heartache? Describe the throbbing pain in her chest and how her heart threatens to crack. Does your character’s throat hurt from screaming? Weave together a few sentences speaking of how he feels the raw pain clawing through the walls of his throat.

6. Place your hook in the right spot. Finding the perfect place for your hook is one of the most important steps. This is the moment where you’ll either catch your reader or lose him. Set it in a good location where it’ll be noticed instead of drowning it out with all your other sentences. For example, you could use it as your first sentence. Be careful, however, if you choose to place it somewhere in the middle or near the end. If you have a long paragraph, avoid placing your hook at the last part. You have a higher risk of losing your reader’s attention.

Sometimes, opening scenes take a long time to create. You don’t always get it on the first try. You may have to continue writing the rest of the story before returning to the beginning. At other times, inspiration strikes as fast as lightning, and an idea flashes across your head. Don't get discouraged.  

A baker needs gentle hands to form the delicate crust of the pie. Likewise, a writer should have tender patience for his words. With the right amount of time and care, the bud of your opening lines will blossom, and you’ll find the perfect words to begin your story. 

No matter what happens, don’t give up.