Chapter Zero

The field of flowers was quiet

I had woken up only a few minutes prior. I hadn't fallen asleep beside the lake, had I? Mother would be disappointed if I did. I slowly sat up, examining the field surrounding me. Butterflies flew about the grass, and I heard tiny giggles around me. I looked for its source, seeing that it was a pixie. My eyes went wide, shocked. Pixies definitely weren't real back at home.

"Welcome traveler ~! Care to barter?" she asked.

"If you don't mind me asking, Ms...?"

"Applebloom!" she supplied.

"Ms. Applebloom, where am I?" I replied.

"You're in the Dreamscape! You arrived quite a while ago; we've been checking on you," she replied. "This is the central field, where everyone wakes up when they arrive."

"Come, Applebloom!" called another voice.

"See you again, stranger!" Applebloom flew off, along with the rest of the pixies.

A soft breeze blew through the field, and I immediately relaxed against the tree I previously was laying against. It was peaceful; it made sense that this place was the Dreamscape. I admired the flowers next to me, their shades of purples, blues, and pinks all prettier than the last. To pass time, I began to braid them into a flower crown, successfully being able to do so. I sat the crown on top of my head, a soft smile on my face as I thought of Jasper and Rose; my younger brother and sister.

"Ah! There you are, friend~!" a voice called out to me.

I looked up and saw a creature with long, silvery hair wearing a pastel-colored joker suit. They waved to me and I waved back, glad to have a companion.

"Hello, who are you?" I asked, sticking out my hand for a handshake.

They eagerly shook my hand. "People call me Rêve!"

"It's nice to meet you, Rêve " I replied, shaking their hand just as eagerly. "You're the first real person I've seen in here so far!"

Rêve giggled. "We're going to be the best of friends!"

"I'd like that!" I giggled with them.

"I have to go soon." Rêve frowned. "But I promise I'll visit every day!"

*****

Rêve did visit me every day like they promised. Every day we spent hours exploring the Dreamscape. They introduced me to the Arcana, who accepted me immediately. Rêve told me the first week after meeting the Arcana that they wanted me to live with Arcana since it'd be closer to their main home. I quickly agreed.

The Arcana were my family. I spent every waking moment with them and Rêve. My flower crown that I made in the field of flowers was always on top of my head, never out of sight. As time went on, Rêve slowly became more distant. I understood that they were working to keep the Dreamscape stable, but I still missed spending time with them, and on top of that, I missed the field of flowers; the place where I first woke up, my first home.

Rêve finally visited after a few days. They gently took my hand and said, "I know you've been missing the field of flowers, and I know that the Arcana are your family, but how would you like to go back to the field permanently?"

" Rêve, I'd love that so much, but what would I do there without you all?"

"You can be my GateKeeper of the Dreamscape. That's how people arrive here, right? You greet them and show them around the field of flowers." Rêve offered.

I nodded, agreeing with their plan.

The next morning I said goodbye to the Arcana, promising I would visit again sometime in the future, before setting out for the field of flowers. We talked the entire journey, and when we arrived back at my old house, I hugged Rêve before they left.

"Thank you for allowing me to come back here." I thanked.

Once we had pulled away, Rêve smiled. "You're my best friend, GateKeeper! Never forget that. I'm happy when you're happy." Rêve began walking back down the dirt path when they turned and waved goodbye.

****

AN: Welcome to my Dreamtalia fanfiction, Sleepwalking. Thank you for giving this a shot and feedback is greatly appreciated.

I plan for this to read as a "choose your own adventure" type of book, with the reader being able to choose different routes throughout the course of the story. There will be multiple different endings to this story; one for each country and one for Rêve.

Since this is a Reader Insert, here is the key for the Reader. This key is subject to change as I continue to write:

(Y/N): Your Name. The reader is not always referred to as the 'GateKeeper'.

(E/C): Eye Color.

(H/C): Hair Color.

Thank you again for reading Sleepwalking, and remember,

'Be careful what you wish for.'