Chapter Eleven

The winds blew harshly in the icy tundra, causing the countries to wrap their uniform jackets tightly around themselves. GateKeeper was unfazed by the cold, keeping their eyes on the ground. England had fallen into step beside them.

"Are you cold at all?" he asked, tugging his jacket closer to him. "We can share my jacket."

"I'm alright," GateKeeper responded. "I'm not really affected by the cold anymore."

"How come?"

"You ask a lot of questions," they giggled. "I've lived here for a long time, England. You have to trust me when I say the cold doesn't bother me."

It was silent after that, the countries focused on keeping themselves warm. They passed by a butterfly, but England was the only one to question why it was there. "Wait a tic, wasn't this butterfly in the median?"

The countries gathered around the hovering insect, eyebrows furrowed.

"Aw, he's following us." Russia hummed.

"Such a delicate creature doesn't belong in a place such as this." France pointed out.

Germany hummed in thought as the butterfly flew closer to him.

"Germany-san?" Japan asked.

"Heh!" America chuckled. "I think it likes you, dude! I wish it'd land on my hand! Come on, lil guy!"

"Knock it off," England said. "We need to get going."

"...Wait." Germany replied.

"Aiyah!" China gasped. "Is it glowing!?"

The light grew brighter, and when it flashed, the butterfly was gone. Some countries rubbed their eyes.

"Bloody hell," England spoke. "What was that?!"

The flash had sent Japan into a kind of spasm. He was breathing heavy and trying to form words. "Japan!" Germany called.

"You okay, bro?!"

"Ah...I feel..." he was trying to calm his breathing.

"...Something feels off." England mumbled.

"What just happened?" France asked.

"What's this in our bag?" China said, pulling a new object out of his own personal knapsack.

"Food and water!" Russia exclaimed. "Goodness, that little thing just gave us some gifts! Slightly suspicious but this is good!"

"Suspicious indeed," England replied. GateKeeper had been silent the whole time. "But we should be careful just in case these are poisoned. Can't get something for nothing, after all."

"If anything, if they are poisoned we can just sell them at the fairy store," Russia said. "Maybe exchange it for...weapon? Item or something?"

America laughed. "You're making it sound like we're in a game!"

"It's gone." Germany noticed. "I don't remember it flying away."

"My chest hurt when it flashed like that," Japan explained. "I am not sure why."

"Are you going to be alright?" GateKeeper asked. They had been silent most of the time, observing.

"Hai, I'm starting to feel better. A little less...uh...sad, at least." Japan replied.

"Aiyah, we've only just gotten here, don't feel so bad about yourself," China said.

England sighed, and started down the path again. "Come on, we have to keep going."