Chapter Ten

"Oh!" Japan muttered when his double crumbled to the snow. "...I think we went a bit overboard. I don't think he's going to make it."

"Oof..." America frowned. "Sorry about that, bro."

"...Everything...will be..all right..." the Arcana mumbled.

"Hm?" GateKeeper asked.

They kneeled in the snow, propping the Arcana up on their lap. "Everyone I love died violently..." he mumbled. "Everything I cared for disappeared unnaturally...

"My world is rotting already...why go on? I'll just hurt others," he said. "So I waited for my death to come here...I've lived long enough to deserve it."

GateKeeper wiped a tear from their cheek. "Don't say that you didn't do anything wrong."

"Eh..." he whispered. "This is the kind of words that my heart lacks...words truly shared with someone..." he glanced up at GateKeeper, a soft smile on his face. "You and your friends...I overheard...you wanted to find the lords of this realm?"

"I don't think so-" America started.

"Shh. Let GateKeeper and Japan talk to him." England interrupted.

"Hai, that's right," Japan answered.

"Head further south...one of the lords in this realm is in a strange building full of toys..." he stated. GateKeeper's eyes widened. Finland.

"We will," Japan said. "Thank you for your help...uh...?"

"I am the Hermit...the ninth...and loneliest Arcana...and now...you...are, too." Hermit finished.

Japan glowed brightly as Hermit faded away into nothingness. GateKeeper wiped another tear from their cheek.

"The Ninth Arcana? Why does that sound familiar?..." England muttered.

"Are you alright?" Germany asked.

"Hai, I just feel a little s...dizzy," Japan answered.

"Mm." Germany nodded. "Understandable. Should we take a break?"

"No no, I'll make it. I'll just be a bit slower. I'm not able to bounce back as well as I used to." Japan reassured his ally.

"I'll keep with him." China offered. "Let's head south."

"But how? The bridge is gone obviously." Russia pointed out.

"Waiting for your death to come?" Japan repeated. "AH!"

In a flash of light, the countries had teleported to the other side of the canyon.

"Whoa! What?" England questioned.

"I...I'm so sorry! It wasn't me!" Japan apologized. "I mean, my chest suddenly pounded and..."

"It's alright. We're on the other side, that's what matters." Germany commented.

"I wonder if Canada is in the strange building full of toys." France wondered.

"Mm, I have a feeling that we're going to run into something else entirely," America replied.

________________________________________________________________________________

A.N: I don't have much to say except for thank you for reading!

Feel free to comment, vote, and share!

If you've enjoyed Sleepwalking so far, check out my other stories: Youngblood (completed) and Keys and Strings (both are Sherlock x Readers)

Until next time,

~Em