eleven

Sophie knew she had liked Fitz for years, pretty much since the first second she saw him and then he brought her here to Eternalia. She figured someone as amazing as Fitz would never like her the way she liked him. Fitz had even said she was like a sister and then repeatedly made it clear she was a friend. Sure there had been moments where she hoped for more, the cognate rings, the baked treats, mini-snuggles, the moment under Calla's panakes, the hug before nightfall and even moments during their telepathy studies that gave her hope but still she couldn't let herself hope for anything more.

Fitz was sitting across from Sophie going through a similar thought process. He had tried to let her know he liked her, he brought her gifts, tried to hold her hand and hug her, he had even tried to kiss her and he had stopped pressuring her to tell him her secret but she never gave him a sign back or even a hint that she liked him. Well until she saw him talking with another girl, that was pretty obvious that she was jealous. Had she been giving him signs all along and he just missed them?

They sat there half watching each other half watching the other people around them. There were groups of friends enjoying a night out, couples holding hands staring into each others eyes and even some families enjoying a light dinner.

Fitz was trying to figure out how to proceed next with the thought that Sophie might actually like him when a group of gnomes approached the table. Sophie was quick to start speaking gnomish with them, he understood Calla and starkflower before Sophie looked up making eye contact with him. Sophie introduced him to the gnomes and explained that they knew Calla and had wanted to make her famous stew at the bistro. The smile on Sophie's face was so big and Fitz loved to see her so happy. After Sophie finished giving them the recipe and promised to return to try it out sometime soon, Fitz took her hand and led her out to the sidewalk.

While they had been eating the day had faded into night and the long day of studying partnered with the lack of sleep the night before finally caught up with Sophie and a yawn pulled at her face.

Fitz noticed the yawn and thought for a few seconds before asking “Why don't we head back to Everglen for the night and get a good night's sleep so we can finish up all our homework tomorrow early?”

“Fitz, can we walk by the river for a minute?”

Fitz nodded and they made their way to the river. The path along the river was lit with glowing orbs of all colors and with the high concentration of pures the air was crisp and fresh. The pair walked hand in hand for a ways before Sophie whispered, “I'm glad Alden and Della sent us out tonight. It was nice to spend time with you.”

“I like spending time with you too, Sophie.”

“Fitz, what do you think your parents wanted us to figure out tonight?”