Chapter 8

Jessica’s POV

I had more effort in getting ready than I have ever done before. I guess I just wanted Claire’s cousin to think of me as a ‘girl’ rather than a ‘tomboy’.

I decided to wear a blue dress, that’s long enough to reach my claves, since we were going to a fancy restaurant. I’m not gonna wear shoes this time. I'm going to wear flats instead, because there was no way I would wear heels.

The day of Mia’s party, my feet felt like falling apart! So if I ever wanted to look ‘girly’, I was going to wear flats.

Just to make me ‘girlier’, I curled my hair and added a bit of eyeliner. I really wanted to make a good first impression.

Once I was ready, I walked into the garage.

Dammit!

Girls don’t ride motorcycles! ’My conscience reminded me.

But I really wanna try riding it…

Shut up!

Okay.

I looked around, and luckily, the motorcycle wasn’t the only vehicle in here. I smiled wickedly, as my eyes landed on mom’s car.

I ran back into the house, and scram, “Mom!”

She came running down the stairs. She ran so fast, that I think she almost tripped, “Are you okay?” she asks me, concerned, “Are you hurt?”

“I’m fine mom, but that’s not why I called you.” I explain, “Are you going to use your car today?”

“No, I---“

“Can I borrow it?” I ask.

“Sure, I'm not really---“

“Where are the keys?” I question.

“Jessica!” she shouts.

“What?”

“I am not letting you borrow my car with no explanation!” she nearly screams.

“Fine, I’ll explain.”

“Good.” she sighs.

“Claire has a cousin, and this cousin is going on a double date.” I explain, “He needs a date, so Claire asked me to go.”

She smiled, “who is this boy?”

“Mom, this might be a ‘double date’ for them, but it’s a ‘blind date’ for me.”

“Is that why you look like this ?

“Yeah…” I admit, “I want to make good first impressions.”

“Well then, you have my permission; to date this boy,  and to use the car.” She reached into her pocket, and gave me the car keys.

I shook my head disapprovingly. Once the keys were in my hands, I took them, walked over to the garage, put the keys in the ignition, and began driving.

Mom always wanted me to have a boyfriend, despite Steven’s complains.

The truth is; I already had ex-boyfriends. I mean an ex-boyfriend.

Nathan...

The name of my good-for-nothing ex.

We were happy at first, the best couple imaginable. We dated for three years! And for those years, he went behind my back…

Flashback

The school day just ended and I was pretty hungry. So I ran to the closest place that was selling food. It was a small burger place.