Chapter 22

Jessica’s POV

Once I stepped through the double doors, I shivered. Mom, Jacob, Claire, Kayla and I just arrived. Today was my dad’s funeral… and we were here.

Of course, Steven, Jack, and Jane didn’t come… I mean, why should they?

Okay, I’ll be honest, they offered to come with us, but mom insisted that they stayed. I mean, wouldn’t that be awkward if they came?

“Hello.” Wendy greets us with a sad smile, holding onto Cassie’s hand tightly, as if she was going to leave.

Okay, to those of you who forgot; Wendy is my dad’s ‘wife’ and Cassie is their daughter, who was thirteen years old.

“Hello.” Mom greets awkwardly.

Before anyone could say another word, someone announces that we should all take our seats.  I couldn’t really explain everything that happened… but, people talked. About how dad was ‘such a great man’ and how ‘we will miss him’, and tears were shed, a lot of tears.

I hate to admit this, but I cried a little too. I know I hate the man, but no matter how horrible he was… he was still my father, a part of our family. He hurt mom, countless of times, and look. She, as well, was crying, as if she was still the woman my father loved.

I’d love to say that I wish he never left us… but I can’t. We’ve been living life like this for years! Don’t you think it would be... different to have him come back to us?

“Jess, you okay?” Jacob takes me into his arms in a comforting hug.

“Yeah.” I lie, crying a bit, “Dude, don’t hug me,” I sniff, pushing him away slightly; “I’ll get your shirt wet.”

It was currently Wendy and Cassie’s turn to talk about Jerry, my dad, but I pretty much zoned out in the middle of it.

“It’s okay.” Jacob rubs my back instead, wiping my tears.

“I can’t believe you’re not crying.” I attempt to joke.

“I never cry.” He jokes, making me chuckle.

“You’re a great brother.” I lightly punch his arm, “And don’t take this the wrong way, but I love you.”

He smirks, “I know you do.”

I punch him harder, “I said not to take it the wrong way!” I hiss.

“Shhh!” mom scolds us, before turning back to what Cassie was saying.

“You said, but I didn’t listen.” Jacob whispers, making me scoff.

Before I knew it, we were free to go home. Before I stood up from my seat, I took out my phone to check the time, but I saw a message from Ryan.

I groaned, but ignored it.

Time check: It was still 1:00 in the afternoon. Meaning I have a couple of hours before my ‘hang out’ with Justin.

We then all got into mom’s car, but of course, Kayla and Claire rode their own cars, and mom drove us home in silence. It wasn’t the relaxing kind of silence; it was the awkward and annoying one. No one dared to say anything, and I’m pretty sure it was because we were just at a funeral earlier.

Our father's funeral.

Once we got inside our house, Steven greeted us, “How’d it go?” he asks.

“It was okay.” I shrug, before heading upstairs, to my room. Once I was inside, I find Jack chasing Blue around my room. If you don’t remember, Blue is the cutest dog in the word, who just happened to be mine. “Jack, what are you doing? Get out! How many times do I have to tell you that you aren’t allowed in my---“