The 1st Hour

The 1st Hour

****WARNING: EXPLICIT CONTENT IN GORY DETAILS****

To my surprise Dad helped haul Damien's limp body into my bedroom. After dragging him upstairs I eventually told dad why I drugged my boyfriend and he sighed deeply.

"You know, he's going to be super mad when he wakes up tomorrow, right?"

I pulled the covers to Damien's neck and half-smiled.

"But at least he would be here tomorrow, right?" I turned to dad.

He nodded once and rubbed my shoulder for support. I don't know why we were both still standing here, watching my unconscious boyfriend. Thankfully, the doorbell rang before the silence got awkward.

There's about another half an hour before the commencement. It's probably dad's crew.

I followed behind him as he unlocked the twenty-seven locks on the front door.

"I don't need to see the security lockdown you got there, I can hear it." That voice sounded familiar.

My dad snickered as he unchained the last lock and gave his friend, who was also a former war veteran, a bear hug.

"Al, I'm glad you made it." My dad grinned.

"Unlike last time, aye Kieran?" Al is a big man, not fat but not all muscle either. He's skin is significantly darker than my dad's sunburnt, worn leather complexion and although dad was taller, Al had a large frame that would have made him a great quarterback. But now his mass was supported by a prosthetic leg which he is more accustomed to.

I tried not to frown when I saw it.

I was there when it happened. When they skewered his leg to pile of dead bodies with a sword. I was there...hiding among the piles of dead bodies-

"And if it isn't the birthday girl!" Al's hug snapped me out of my reverie. Wow. It was a crushing hug. I could barely breathe. My dad just smirked at my panicked face. "I got you something." He quickly released me. Thank god. But I hated getting presents. It was tough enough, accepting a sapphire ring from Damien, when people's lives are risk. That was until I saw the bow and arrow he tossed me.

"For future archery lessons?" I smiled. This is awesome! He always boasted about archery in the training camps and how he was better than the instructor. I did remember nagging him about giving me a few pointers, even though I didn't have the equipment. "Thank you Al, this is perfect."

"Pfft. Wait till you see what your dad got you." Al nudged my dad and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. We had this agreement that he wasn't supposed to get me anything.

But I guess that didn't stop him from getting me a freaking machine gun!

It was on the second floor, parked near a window. Totally convenient for shooting trespassers. Great....

"I don't even know how to use it." I said as I stroked the exterior. Everything about giant machine guns looked complicated. I usually just stick to a handgun or a pocket knife. Small but effective if used right and I've had plenty of practice with those.

"Don't worry, sweetheart. That's what Uncle Al is here for." My dad winked. I suppose this means the crew has decided not to include Al in this year's rescue mission. Can't blame them. He lost his leg. It's kind of him stay with me though. I feel safer already.

Then something blared from the speakers.

"Anouncing the commencement of the annual Purge. All crime, including murder, will be legal. If you are not purging, we strongly advise you to evacuate the streets. Your government thanks you for your participation."