Beyond the Stars (Preface)

PREFACE: BEYOND THE STARS

The night sky was refreshing shades of blue, sprinkled with glistening silver stars; Gradating dark indigo from the heavens in the air to the mild periwinkle of the sky on Earth below.

There sat, the Astro Observatory, on a remote desert in Tucson...

"Hmm..., tonight appears to be perfect to do a little study..."

"You're right, Professor. It's quite beautiful."

Professor Astro had his hand cupped under his chin as he watched the stars flicker. Standing beside him was his young assistant.

The assistant looked up at Prof. Astro. "Professor," he asked,"Do you think there's a probability that we may discover something new...? Perhaps a new star?"

The Professor smiled.

"It all depends on our efforts, my boy."

He patted the young man on his head.

"Huh...?'

"I say; How about we get the equipment ready for research?"

"Don't worry, Professor," He bowed, "I'll go get them. So you just wait here, okay?!"

The young man ran into the lab as Prof. Astro called back to him.

"And be careful with the telescope, Spencer! It's very heavy!"

The hatchway closed behind Spencer.

That boy is something special..., The Prof. thought to himself. About ten minutes passed as Prof. Astro was thinking to himself and how proud he was of Spencer.

He then glanced back into the stars. "I doubt we will find anything these days--wha--???"

Professor Astro gasped when he noticed a strange ember glow in the center of the sky. It appeared to be growing every split second. The Prof. shaded his eyes from the blindinglight as he tried to examine what it may be. "What on Earth could this be...?" He asked himself.

Then all of a sudden a strong, powerful gust came out of nowhere. The Professor then knew what he was facing--a meteor! "Oh no! I have to go find Spencer!"

He struggled to sprint to the hatchway via the forceful wind from the approaching asteroid was pushing him rightward. The asteroid was heading about 90 mph; But Prof. Astro finally made his way into the lab building.

Spencer, whose arms were bearing a pile of astrology equipment, stopped in his tracks with a frantic expression on his face. "Professor! What happened?!"

The Professor bent over with his hands on his knees trying to catch his breath. Spencer then sat the equipment on a nearby table and ran to the Prof.

"Are you okay, Professor?" Spencer helped him up.

"You... shouldn't... go...out there, Spencer--there is... something outside..." Professor Astro said in between breaths.

"What is? Is there something wrong?!" Spencer continuously asked the Professor.

"There is an incoming---" Before Prof. Astro could finish his response, there was a blinding white flash, followed by aloud, heavy "boom" outside of the building.

The hard impact had shook the two to the floor.

"Ow! What was that?"

"You stay here!" Prof. Astro quickly hopped to his feet, "I have to see it!"

"Wait Professor! We don't know--wait!"

Prof. Astro hurried out of the lab. He halted.

"Amazing..." He whispered to himself as he examined a large, smoking crater about a mile or two from the entrance of the observatory. "I must take a look at this site!"

The Professor then began to run to the crash site. "This could be a break for us!" He happily said to himself until he finally made it to the site.

He gasped in astonishment. The gaping crater seemed to stretch in a diameter of a vast twenty-nine or thirty miles across. But that was not the scenario that left him bewildered.

"What...what is this...?" He glanced at what appeared to be a small, spherical pod. It was surrounded in smoke in which made the mysterious silhouette even more vague. "This object...it's no ordinary meteor...I must take a closer view of it..."

Professor Astro has always been the curious type, so he never let a good potential discovery pass him by. He began to slide down the steep walls of the crater. He was shocked to see that it wasn't a meteor or space junk...

He approached the object with little caution until finally the object was clear. It was a small escape pod with a small port hole sitting on top of it.

"Is that--?" The Prof. made an even more surprising discovery when he saw what appeared to be a small child sleeping inside. So he immediately tugged the port hole until it opened up slowly as steam slipped from the cracks of the port hole.

"Un..believable..." The Professor eyes widened through his glasses as he constantly blinked to see if this was really happening.

"What is it Professor?!" Spencer happened to appear behind over the crater. But the Professor was too astounded to be startled by Spencer's voice.

"I...I don't know..."

He slowly reached inside the pod and gently grasped the strange-looking infant and pulled him out of the pod.

"Such a beautiful child..."

He examined the baby thoroughly. The lime green eyebrows, the light tan fur, and the x-shaped scar on his left eyelid.

Professor Astro was overexcited to acknowledge such phenomenon...he had such a proud smile on his face....

Then finally...the infant's eyes opened...such a stunning infrared color they were...

This is where it all begins.

I'm Zap Astro; And this is my story...