Chapter 3:The Switcharoo

"Star!", Marco called out. 

I groaned. What the heck just happened? Why did it happen? I am so confused.

"Yeah Marco, whats up?", I replied timidly, as I rubbed my head. 

Ow.

Marco screamed. It was loud,girlish scream, like I'd just walked in on him styling his "hair" (again).

I pulled my hands down my cheeks. I was exhausted. "Marco..."

"Star! What happened to you?!"

"Whaddaya mean?"

I felt my dress. Or I would have been, if it wasn't already gone. Wait, my dress! Was I wearing a..vest? I checked to see if my horns were still on my head. Thank goodness. They were still there. But so was something else. A hat. Well, at least the hat was kinda cool.

"Whoa!", I beamed. "I'm a boy!"

"I'm a boy." 

How could this happen? Unless it was the...love potion.

"Star!",Marco yelled. "You're a boy!"

"Well, duh. I guess ya didn't realize that you're a girl.

Wait, Marco's a girl? How does that surprise me?

Another scream from Marco. "I'm a girl!" He hyperventilated.

"Deeep breaths Marco.", I said. "Just, chill."

"Just chill?!"Marco said. His hands were on the top of his head, as he fiddled with his newfound ponytail. "What are my parents gonna say?!"

Uh oh. Marco's parents. What are his parents gonna say?

What are my parents gonna say?!

What they don't know...can't hurt them.

***********************************************************************************************

Marco and I were in my room. Marco sat on my bed, lost in thought, as I riffled through my cabinet, throwing things behind me. 

"Ugh!", I groaned. "Where is it!"

"Star..what did you do?", Marco asked as he narrowed his eyebrows."Why did this even happen?!"

"I don't know. I guess the potion malfunctioned, or..."

My eyes widened. I just said "potion", Of Marco's gonna ask about the potion, and I'm gonna have to tell him about the love potion....unless I don't.

"What potion?"Marco asked, puzzled.

"A uhhhhh, health potion."

"Health potion?"

"You looked sick!"

The butterflies appeared in my stomach again, just like in my dream. Oh man. I hope Marco doesn't find out that it's a...looooove potion. What would he say? Would he still be my friend? Would be suuuuuuuper awkward?

"Was that what was in that cup? Did you magic me? Ugh, Star!"

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry. I panicked and...did something stupid."

Tears started forming in my eyes, then rolling down my cheeks. 

"Oh Star", Marco said softly.

Aww, Marco. How could I not love you at times like this?

 "I'm sorry for yelling at you. We'll get through this, like we always do."

***********************************************************************************************

"We're home",a familiar voice said.

As I looked closer, I saw Angie and Rafael, Marco's parents.

Oh no.

What are they going to say? Will they send me back to Mewni?

I had to think fast. Got it.

"Marco!", I called out. "Go to your room."

"Star..."

"Go! Now! Your parents are home."

With that, Marco ran to his room and closed the door. 

"Marco", I heard Rafael's voice call out. "Marco?" I watched as he walked to Marco's room.

Oh no,oooohhhh nnnooooo.

Rafael knocked on Marco's room door. The door swung open. "Hello strange girl",Rafael said.

What? How is he not frightened? I know Marco's parents are very welcoming, but I would be at least a little bit surprised to see a strange girl in my son's bedroom.

I saw Marco's dad walk out of Marco's room, his shoulder wrapped around a seemingly uptight girl Marco.

"Hey Star", Angie called enthusiastically. "Come meet our new friend."

"Uh...can't. I'm...looking for something. I lost my...hammer."

"Well okay Star. I guess we're coming in."

Uh oh.

I pretended to look for something, while I heard Marco's parents come inside. 

"Star! You cut your hair!", Angie beamed. "And it looks so nice on you."

"Why, thank you. It's a new look I'm going for....heh heh."

"And such a nice hat", Rafael added.

"Thanks", I replied nervously.

"Star, stop looking and come and meet our new friend", Angie persuaded.

"Can't, busy", I replied frantically.

"Come on Star", Angie said as she pulled back my vest. "Star!"

She knows! Oh no! She knows! What do I do? Oh---i got it. I'll run away, Yeah. I'll go back to Mewni. But I can't go back as a boy! Ugh!

Angie furrowed her eyebrows. "What's going on in here?" She asked, narrowing her eyes. "And if you're Star,than is this...Marco?!" She looked at me, then at girl Marco. "Okay", she said, letting go of Marco. "Come on Rafael!"

***********************************************************************************************

Later that day, Angie called both of us into the living room. There was a bowl of nachos on the table. I helped myself to a treat. Marco just...sat there.

"I called you here...", Angie started. She was pacing around the room. She was thinking hard. Her right pointer finger was placed on her lip.

"Because I wanted to tell you something very important." Angie's voice was serious now. She kinda sounded like a command officer.

"I enrolled you guys in school at Echo Creek."