5.

Recap:

"Trent," I called quietly as he opened the door, "thank you."

He gave me a full blown smile before leaving me alone to my thoughts.

•••

I had stayed in Chelsea's room for 12 short seconds before I realised how weird it was to be in there alone and hurried downstairs.

I now stood at the edge of the forest, an apple in hand as I struggled to fight off more thoughts of Jake Smith and his icy blue eyes.

He'll be back. It's only been one day, I said to Ben.

For both our sakes, I hope so, he answered. I mean what if he gets home and completely forgets about us, wouldn't surprise me if the girlfriend theory from last night were true.

Ouch. My heart felt that one.

Shut up, Ben, I said as I finished the apple and threw the core onto the ground along with the heap of my clothes. We're going for a run.

I heard him yap in happiness as I transformed into the dark brown wolf and sprinted off into the forest.

•••

I had run for around 30minutes. The familiar smell of damp ground and pine trees invading my senses.

I paused to drink at a creek I often visited when I ran. The water was pristine clear and refreshingly cool as it slipped down my throat. My chest heaved from exertion and I shuffled my paws into the damp banks of the creek. The wet earth pushing up between my toes.

I stayed there for a while. Taking in the scenery, clearing my head as I took deep breaths, one after the other.

I almost didn't notice when the very faint scent of lavender began to accompany that of pine.

I was taken by surprise as Ben pushed to the surface, taking control as he sprinted in the direction of the smell. He moved faster than I had ever moved before, frantically dodging and weaving through the undergrowth.

The scent wasn't getting any stronger, or fainter. It was as if he was all around, or had been.

At this point Ben was just running in circles, desperate to find our mate.

Ben, stop. He's not here.

Yes he is! I can smell him. He was here.

Well he's not anymore. For all we know, the scent could be around from when he left last night.

Ben finally stopped. His head raising as he let out a whine and howl.

I understood how he felt.

I think we both know that his scent wouldn't have stayed in the air for that long.

We sat for a a while before Ben gave the reins back to me and I stood, making my way back to the pack house.

•••

At the slow pace I was keeping, we were probably around an hour away when a brown and black wolf joined my side.

I raised my head in acknowledgement as my best friend made a yip noise and nudged me.

Race ya back? Axel challenged.

You're on, I answered.

Ok, on three. One... Two-

I took off before Axel could finish.

Hey! He mind-linked me, cheater!

How old are you? I taunted him back with a laugh. I still slowed slightly to let him catch up.

He playfully growled before we took off, this time with an even start.

I needed the distraction anyway.

•••