12.

Recap:

"Alrighty, let's head in." Said Harrison with a slight smirk on his face after seeing Jake's state.

This week was going to be interesting... to say the least.

•••

As we entered the pack house, I looked around. It was smaller than I expected. Only three storeys. Ok, I know three storeys isn't small, but for a pack house, it certainly is.

As if hearing my thoughts, Harrison spoke up.

"This particular building is only for the Alpha family and special guests. That's why it's not as big as full pack houses. Myself and David spend quite a bit of time here, but only really because of our positions in the pack," he threw a cheeky smile towards his Alpha,"and cos we're besties with this boof-head." He attempted to put his arm around Jake's shoulders, only for the blonde to dodge and continue walking as if nothing had happened.

Harrison shook his head with a chuckle, "You're room is on the second floor," we began climbing the stairs, "All of the kitchen, living, dining is on the bottom floor, and guest and family bedrooms on the second, then the Alpha and Luna's room and study is on the third floor. You can go anywhere on the first and second floor but I'd recommend you say away from the third floor, just out of respect really."

"Of course." Axel said.

"Ok, perfect. This is your room here. Our Alpha and Luna will likely want to speak to you on why you're paying us such a visit, but they won't be around until tomorrow. I suggest that you two," Harrison spared a knowing glance at Jake and I, "get your story straight and work out what the hell this mess is."

Jake still hadn't taken his eyes off me. It was beginning to get more and more difficult to not to give into the mate bond.

"You guys are free to get comfy and for dinner, help yourselves to whatever leftovers you can find in the fridge. One of our priorities here is reducing our waste so go wild with anything you can find really." Harrison smiled, "I'll leave you to it."

As Harrison left, Jake's eyes shifted to Axel in a threateningly questioning manner, if possible.

"Alright, alright. Don't get you're knickers in a twist, I'm leaving." Axel turned to me, placing a hand on my shoulder, "If you need me, just mind-link and I'll be there, ok?"

I nodded as Axel walked into our room.

"Follow me." Jake said in a monotone voice.

We walked further down the hallway until we reached a pair of double doors. Jake opened the door, holding it open for me and I found myself in a large study. Presumably his.

"You're friend needs to learn some respect." He said, walking around me to perch on the edge of the desk.

I scoffed. "That's rich coming from someone who doesn't respect their own mate." Venom latched onto my every word.

Jake sighed, hands rubbing his temples. It was so tempting to reach out and place my hand on his cheek just as I had done months ago.

"Hayden, please."

His tone took me aback. His voice cracked, emotion poured into it. I was frozen in shock.

Alpha Jake Smith was breaking down in front of me.

At my silence, he continued. "Please hear me out. I know I've hurt you. I know I broke my promise. There's a reason. That I can promise you that."

My fists were clenched, posture rigid. I was furious. He had almost killed me when he slept with whoever else it was. I didn't want to give him the benefit of the doubt, but for the sake of Ben, who was struggling to stay alive, I had to.

"I was so happy when you showed up. I had finally found my mate. The person I was destined to be with, and better yet, he seemingly accepted me!" He looked me dead in the eye as I continued. A guilty, heavy look on his face, "I was so hopeful, so excited and then you left. You just abandoned me. Do you have any idea how that made me feel? I sat waiting for you for 7 months! I thought I was being a good mate. Following your requests to the point where I couldn't eat, couldn't sleep, couldn't even function as a normal person! And then, ha and then," I say, crossing my arms with a spiteful, mocking smile, "you went and slept with someone. Someone that wasn't your mate." Jake looked at me in shock, he mustn't have realised I would feel the effects of his little adventure, "Yep that's right. I felt that. It was agony. I almost died. The only reason I'm in this pack right now is so that I can recover, so my wolf can actually gain some responsiveness. He hasn't spoken to me since it happened."

I looked Jake in the eye. The broken look in his, mirrored in mine, "How could you?"

•••

draaaaamaaaaa
ily <3