chapter 2- school

"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who didn't believe in magic will never find it.- Roald Dahl
-------------------------------------------------------------

picture of Helena up in the media. enjoy!!

Jenna entered the van and stared at the moving houses and trees, her mind racing with thoughts. All her life had been full of questions- so many unanswered questions but never answers.

This wasn't the first time they had moved away from a town but she sincerely hoped it was the last. She was tired.

The first time, she could recall was when she was four and every single time Helena heard about trouble in some parts of the little town they had been living in, Helena and her would-be running or 'moving' to another town.

Helena called it moving away for a change of environment or new adventure but Jenna called it running away. It was more like they were running away from someone or something.

She couldn't say which one it was but she knew whichever one it was, she wasn't allowed to meet it but that only intensified her curiosity.

What was it that Helena feared so much that they would be running away?

She had a lot of questions about her life, questions that Helena could answer but she couldn't get it because Helena wouldn't say anything and was always using the phrase 'you're not ready yet' and that made her frustrated.

The car pulled up in front of a huge building and Jenna guessed it was her new school.

One look at the building sent cold shudders down her bone. She had dreaded the day she would leave especially after being told that it was a boarding school and now it was finally here.

Because of the unpacking, Helena still had to do, she informed her daughter that her things would be sent later. Jenna frowned. Helena knew that if she knew the school was a boarding school earlier, she would argue and wouldn't go but it was for her own good and to keep her safe and away from Him.

Jenna squinted at the school building and sighed in despair. The building was old and the paint had already started to wear off. It was now a very washed up dull color of green. Plants crawled all over the school's gate as it opened with a groan as if strained. The school reminded her of the haunted house in the movie IT.

Helena switched off the engine and went out to Jenna who was already out.

"Mum" Jenna whined, "There is no need to follow me, Am 18 years old, no longer a kid anymore"

Helena chuckled and sniffed pretending to wipe a tear "I know, it's just that my little angel is all grown up now".

Jenna rolled her eyes playfully and hugged her mom. She was used to Helena's acts.

Once when she had told her about her first date, Helena didn't shut up and later broke into tears blabbing about how big and beautiful Jenna had grown.

Jenna felt a knot in her tummy and it dawned on her that she might not see Helena in a long time and it scared her. She would miss her.

Jenna had never been to a boarding school nor been far from her mom and even though she was old enough to be alone, she couldn't help feeling scared.

"Am going to miss you" Jenna said hugging her mother.

She inhaled deeply her mother's scent, fresh roses, and lavender. Those comforting scents, she would register in her mind till the next time they met.

Helena smiled and said the same thing to her before moving to the driver's seat.