Chapter 6

When I heard the front door slam shut I almost dropped mums phone. In a state of panic, I darted out of her room and into mine, completely oblivious to the fact that I still had her phone held tight in my hand. 

"Oh shoot," I mumbled once I'd realised, "Oh well, maybe there's more information on it that I've missed."

Stuffing the phone into my pocket, I left the room to question mum about where she'd been. Not that I planned to get the truth out of her. Actually, why don't I go out for a bit, and maybe I'll find some answers.

"Good morning darling, I'm sorry I left so suddenly, it was important..." Mum said, her voice trailing off at the end.

I wasn't even going to bother asking. "It's fine. I'm just going out for a walk, is that okay?" 

"Of course" She said, but her voice sounded as though she were suspicious of me - rightly so.

I shoved my hands in my pockets in hope to cover up the rectangular bump which was her phone, and then strided out side, letting the door slam behind me. I wasn't exactly sure where I was going to go, but anything is better than being stuck inside all day. I guess I could try calling that S guy. 

Making sure I was away from the house, I pulled out mums phone and tried to call S, but to no avail. It went straight to voice-mail. I hung up in defeat, but before I could put the phone away it started to ring. I was anxious whether to answer or not, but curiosity got the better of me, and I pressed 'accept.'

"Hello?" I asked nervously through the phone

"Is this Maria Femmons?" The caller asked me

"No... this is her daughter, Ciara Femmons. Can I take a message?"

"Ciara? How do you have your mothers phone? Why aren't you locked up in your room?!"

"What? locked up? why would I be locked up?"

"You don't know?! So Maria was right! The memory eraser worked!"

"Memory eraser?! What's going on!?" But before I could ask any more questions, the man hung up. I quickly checked call history to see who he was, but the number was withheld. My mind was buzzing with questions, but it was pointless getting hung up on them; I wasn't getting answers anytime soon.

Suddenly I thought of something; if mum was really hiding something, why would she just leave her phone lying on her bedside table? What if she actually wanted me to look through it, or if she wanted me to hear that call? If it was such a big secret then she wouldn't have just left her phone behind, would she?

It's like she's warning me of something, but what?