Chapter 12

I thought that they'd be surprised by my decision, but they all just stared at me, and then smirks spread across their faces.

"Good," Murdoch said through his grin, "but you'll be severely out of practice, so you'll need some special training" then he started laughing like a maniac. He was terrifying.

"But I-" I stopped myself. By signing myself up to this I knew the truth - I would have to kill more people...

Suddenly I felt Calina's cold hand on my shoulder. "Come on Ciara, let's go get you ready for your challenge"

"Get ready? What is there to get ready for?" I cried.

"The person you'll be...challenging... is going to be very tough. You won't be able to hide quick enough wearing that" she said, pointing to my black dress. I was about to ask another question, but she'd already dragged my off into the darkness.

      XXX

I was sent into a smal, bright room with only a bench holding a weird outfit which looked similar to a wet-suit. I presumed that the room was so bright because they didn't want me transforming and attempting to escape. I quickly changed from the ridiculous dress into the even-more ridiculous outfit, and then knocked on the door from the inside in order to let Calina know I was ready.

We walked in silence along the corridor to yet another door, in which Calina quickly slipped straight through. The thing that made Shadow Leaders more important that regular shadow walkers was the fact that they had more special abilities than us, and one of which was that they could walk straight through closed walls, whereas shadow walkers can only go through thin gaps.

Calina then pushed a button which opened a small gap for me to slide through, so I did. But when I got in Calina was nowhere to be seen. I was in a large room with dark and light parts of it, which was truly terrifying because it made me realise who I was up against. This particular shadow walker could see shadows in the faded light. I was up against Eris.

Quick as ever, I darted into the wall and ran in circles around the room. If I kept moving there was less chance of her catching me. When I saw a disoriented figure pace through the door I froze on the ceiling. Don't move! Don't make a sound! I thought to myself, but to no avail; she was looking right at me. Her black eyes pierced into my soul, and a grin spread across her face. Then she sunk into the dark floor right before my eyes.

Oh shoot! I couldn't see her at all. I sprinted along the ceiling and down the edge on the wall. I had to take a risk; if I go into the light part of the room I will be entirely visible - but so would she. Hesitating on the border of light and dark, I looked behind me. I felt a chilling feeling approach me, and out of fright, I jumped out of the wall and became a human. Don't be so stupid! Now she has all the power to kill me! But, to my surprise, Eris stepped out of the wall too.

"Oh you are a stupid girl aren't you Ciara?" She laughed at me. "Now I'm going to kill you, and I'll be the second most murderous killer in the whole Shadow Kingdom next to Murdoch."

"This isn't a game, Eris. You're killing innocent people!" I said, slowly stepping backwards and reaching my hand back to feel for the wall.

"Oh but it is. Why do you think we even started killing in the first place?" she said, stepping closer to me with each word.

Then I got a strike of inspiration. "oh mh hm mh" I mumbled.

"What? Learn to speak properly you stupid girl" she said, coming even closer to me

"mh hm mh" I mumbled again.

She scowled at me, coming right up to my face. "Say it again, properly!" she hissed

"I said-" and right at that moment I darted back into the wall and released all of my fury. Black fog filled to room at an immense speed, and it felt amazing, like breathing after holding your breath for ages.

My proudness was replaced with horror when I heard Murdoch speak out from the corner. "Glad to have you back Ciara..."

I am not a human. I am not a murderer. I am a Shadow Walker...