Chapter 16

I don't know why I was so shocked to hear that, but I was. Of course they were going to do that! How could I think it would be anything else? 

"Can we get out of this truck?" I whispered to dad.

"No Ciara. We must stay."

"But dad! They'll kill me!" I retorted, raising my voice slightly. But dad just lowered him head to face the ground. I swear he was impossible. "Well fine. If you want to just sit there and watch me die then that's your choice, but prepare to be disappointed because I'm not staying!"

"Can't you just trust me?!" He half whispered, half shouted, which took me by surprise. "Look I know we've been through a lot but can you please just trust me?"

I was about to say yes, but then I remembered something. Back when I was unconscious I had a dream - or flashback -  where I was with dad. He was a killer. 

"Dad... that day when you taught me I was a shadow walker... you killed those people..." I whispered, tears pricking the corners of my eyes.

"Ciara listen. They made me do it. They threatened me! If I hadn't become a Shadow Leader they would've killed you"

"I would've rather died than have all those innocent people murdered..." And with that our conversation came to an end.

The rest of the journey was painfully slow and quiet. Neither of us could look up from the ground. I wonder if he felt guilty? I didn't really know him well enough to know if he even felt guilt. From my experience, he probably didn't. 

                                                        XXX

The truck finally pulled up and came to a halt. I must've fallen asleep somewhere on the journey, because my neck was stiff like I'd been resting it at a weird angle. One of the people pulled open the door and quite violently pulled me out of the truck.

"Nice to see you awake," he said, with more than a hint of sarcasm. I replied with a piercing glare. 

"Behave Ciara," dad said. He was acting like I was just an ordinary child misbehaving. I hate him.

We were dragged along a brightly lit hallway then through a door into a room which I knew all too well. The FBI were standing around a large machine. The so called 'memory eraser'. I was overcome by a tidal wave of painful memories of being in that chair. I remember screaming because of the pain. Why couldn't I remember it before?! That thing hurts!

"No no I am NOT going in that thing!" I started screaming and struggling to get loose from the soldiers grip. I was seriously panicking. I didn't want to go through all the  pain again, but more importantly - I didn't want to forget. 

Everything which happened next happened so fast that it's just a blur in my memory. I sunk into the floor and darted around the brightly lit room. They all got out their guns and shot rapidly at where I was, but I was too fast for them. Besides, you cant kill a shadow. Suddenly they had my dad and were holding a gun to his head. I vaguely heard one off them shout at me to come out, but dad slightly shook his head at me. Why won't you just change too, dad! I screamed inside my head. I saw one of the men tighten their grip on the trigger, and I just lost all control. 

Black fog swept out an an unimaginable speed. in less than 5 seconds, everyone was gone. Everyone. Everyone. I was the only one in the room.

I was taken by surprise to hear clapping from the corner of the room. Murdoch. 

"Well done Ciara. You really helped us there." He said with a smug look on his face. 

"I take it back. I'll never help you take over the world!" I snarled back at him.

"Oh but you've just got rid of our biggest problem" He grinned

"The military and the FBI were no problem for you and you know that!"

"Oh but I wasn't talking about those fools. No dear Ciara, I was talking about your father"