Nine.

I sat like that for about 20 minutes. I could feel my heart pounding through my chest. My face, burning red, half from embarrassment and half from anger. I've just graduated and Gerald still treats me like a child. It's unbelievable, and it's definitely unacceptable. I finally stood up and walked to the mirror, fixing my makeup and combing through my hair with my fingers. I looked at my phone, 11 missed calls from Mom. To be honest, I didn't even feel my phone vibrate once. I pressed 'Mom' in my contacts and listened to the dial tone.

"Arianna, oh my gosh, we were so worried about you!" My mom semi shouted.

"Yeah, sorry mom, I just got caught up with a friend and I didn't feel my phone go off once. I'm sorry, where are you guys at?"

"We're in D hallway. Did you know Gerald was going to be here? We're talking to him right now. Super charming guy, quite a looker."

I rolled my eyes. "Okay mom. I'll be there soon." I spat out a little more attitude then I originally intended, but oh well.

I walked out of the girls bathroom, which still stank of weed, and made my way to D hall. I drenched myself in perfume before reaching my parents and Gerald.

"Hi." I softly said

"Arianna!" My mom yelled and gave me the worlds largest hug. "We are so so so proud of you!" My dad joined in.

I glanced over at Gerald who was looking back, unamused. I guess he doesn't like not having the attention every second of the day.

"Thanks guys." I looked back at my parents and smiled.

"Oh! Gerald!" My mom turned he attention back to him. "We're about to go out to dinner; we would just love for you to come!"

"What." I half raised my voice. Both my mom and my dad both shot me a confused look.

I laughed nervously. "No, I just mean he's probably super busy with all his, business stuff and.. ahem.. stuff, so yeah I don't think he would have enough time. Sorry Gerald," I turned to him. "Maybe next time."

"Well.." A smile crept on G's face. "It seems as though my schedule just cleared up."

The car ride with my parents was quiet and uncomfortable. After 10 minutes my dad cleared his throat.

"So, uh, sweetie, your mom and I got the feeling that you don't necessarily want Gerald to have dinner with us?"

I rolled my eyes. "No, It's not that, I just don't want the entire dinner to feel awkward because I don't work for him anymore, I don't know."

"What happened anyway? You got paid well there, honey. Don't you need the money for college?"

I really did make quite a bit of bank there, and I miss the kids like crazy.

"I don't know mom, it just wasn't working."

The car fell silent again and remained that way until we reached the restaurant. Gerald shortly arrived after us in his 65 black Mustang. He parked next to us and quickly got out and opened the passenger side door for my mom. She took his extended hand to help her out. He closed the door as she stood next to her. He walked to my door, reaching to open it, but I quickly opened it before he could, slightly hitting him with my door.