Chapter 4: "Soccer" Punch

A/N: Okay, to clear things up as people continue reading... for the moment assume that each set of seven chapters (one for each of the main characters) occur within the same week. For example, Tara's chapter does not start immediately after Helena's. However, it is on the Friday after Helena's night hunt. Later in this chapter, you'll see why (Helena mentions to Tara that something strange has happened to her). It won't always be like that, though. I KNOW, I KNOW. CONFUSING. But this story is all intricate. The strings are loose in the beginning, but they tie themselves together in the end. I'll stop rambling now and give you the next chapter.

                “One more win and this team will be in the championships,” Mr. Taylor discussed with the audience of female teenagers, “but lately, we have been slipping from our A game.” He turned to face his daughter, the captain of the team, and added, “Tara, I don’t want to put any unnecessary pressure on you individually, but you know these girls better than I do. However you can motivate them, do it.”

                “Yes dad,” Tara responded to her father before shuffling around on her feet to face the rest of her group mates. “Listen up ladies,” she condescendingly – yet sarcastically -- addressed the girls, “you all want to get into championships, yeah?” Tara received a collective “yeah!” from her peers. “Then pretend the ball is an ass, and kick it!”

                The crowd released a flurry of laughs and cheers. “Now disperse, my minions,” Tara joked. The thirteen-to-seventeen year olds did as they were told and spaced themselves out on the grassy field.

                Why didn’t I think of that? Mr. Taylor reprimanded himself for not pumping up the team as his daughter had done. “Alright,” he shouted out, “For practice today, we’re having a scrimmage. Odd numbers to the left, even numbers to the right.

                “That’s not fair; all of the really strong players are on the Odd team!” Jessie wailed, pointing to the side where Tara was stationed at. Tara only offered Jessie a cheeky smile as she shrugged childishly.

                “Dude, that’s insulting for the rest of us on this side,” grumbled Val. Jessie jogged up to the fourteen-year old and playfully punched her shoulder. “You know I didn’t mean it like that, Val.” Val looked up at the dirty blond before her and offered a small smile. Knowing that the little misunderstanding was resolved, Jessie returned to her position.

                “Velcome to hell,” teased Tara in her mock accent. “Population: twelve. You either play like women or prissy little boys.”

                “Way to motivate us, Tara,” the teammate that stood southeast of Tara, Arianna, chuckled.

                “Honestly, just give it all you’ve got, guys, “Tara said seriously. “My dad will buy ice cream to the winning side.”

                “What?” Mr. Taylor raised his voice in disbelief. “I didn’t agree to any of this.” He brought his pointer finger and thumb to the bridge of his nose. “Fine. But I expect some hardcore playing. Each half will only be 30 minutes since we’re pressed on time.” He dropped the soccer ball directly onto the center, retreated from the field, and then blew the whistle to signal the game’s beginning.

                The ring of the whistle echoed sharply, like pots and pans banging in Tara’s eardrums.  The odd numbered team approached the middle of the field for the ball, meeting the even numbered team with equivalent force. The noise did not leave Tara’s ears until far too late, and by the time she finally regained stability on her feet, a short-haired opponent rammed into the disoriented girl.