Chapter Five

Percy opened the door to the Orphanage and Maddie ran inside. Annabeth chuckled before following the little girl, Percy bowing and escorting her in with a grin on his face.

"PERCY BROUGHT A GIRL!" Maddie shouted, as she ran into the living room. Squealing filled the hall as Maddie led six other kids back to Percy. He waved his hands out in front of himself but they tackled him anyways.

Annabeth bent over laughing. "Second time today!" She mastered herself enough to say, wiping tears away from her eyes.

Percy frowned at her as he finally got the kids to giving him some breathing room, though he was still on the floor. An older woman came through the doorway, giggling at the sight. "Would you be surprised, Young Lady, if I told you this was an everyday occurrence, and he's only embarrassed since you're here?" Her brown eyes shone as a smile filled her lovely face.

Annabeth assumed the little old lady with mocha skin that crinkled like thin paper was Mrs. Jill. Her white hair was tied back in a bun, plus her white shirt and blue skirt finished off the look of the Sunday School Teacher.

"I wouldn't doubt it." Annabeth held out her hand. "Hello, I'm Annabeth Chase, new to Percy's school. " Her hand was knocked away as the old woman wrapped her in a bear hug.

"Nice to meet you, Annabeth dear. I would brace yourself, the little ones love company." Right as Jill said that, the kids pounced on Annabeth.

Percy's shoulder shook as he silently laughed. He had finally gotten to his feet, his cheeks finally losing the pink they had gained. Annabeth wasn't thrown to the ground, but seemed to be slowly pulled down, as if sinking in quicksand.

"You are all adorable, but I need to breath." She chuckled, trying to stand back up.

Percy snapped his fingers and all the kids looked at him, pausing what they were doing. He gave them a look and they backed off. "Now that's more like it." Mrs. Jill fake scolded. "I'll get some snacks ready, you guys go into the Living room." She waved her wrinkled hands and marched into the kitchen.

With a jerk of his chin all the kids ran into the living room. "You sure have them wrapped around your finger." Annabeth chuckled, following after the children.

He rolled his eyes and signed, 'Completely the other way around.' Percy shook his head as they walked into the Living room and sat down on the black love seat.

Annabeth set her book bag down beside her, Percy sat his down beside his legs. Maddie crawled up and sat in his lap, clinging to him with a smile on her face. He sighed and rubbed circles on her back, while digging his note pad out. He signed to Annabeth, 'I've been teaching them ALS but they only know the basics, so I use this notepad.' He explained before writing out some instructions for Maddie.

She took the notepad and showed the others before they all ran off for different things.

"What do you have them doing?" Annabeth smiled as she pulled her feet up to sit crisscross-apple-sauce.

'Setting up shop.' He grinned as the kids came back and set a bunch of things on the coffee table. A box of hair ties, bows, ribbons, and clips. Another box full of nail polish. The last one was full with hair brushes, scissors, and others things for hair care. He grabbed his notepad from Maddie and scribbled something down.

"Who's first?" A blonde boy with brown eyes came up and sat on the stool in front of where Percy sat.

He turned to Annabeth shyly and smiled. "I'm Fisher." He stuck out his chucky fist and Annabeth shook his hand with her own smile in place. "Percy, I just want it trimmed please." He smiled wide as Percy pat his head and nodded.

The boy's hair was wet, as if he just took a shower, several of them were the same. Maddie flounced up the stairs shouting "Be right back!" behind her.

Percy reached over to the coffee table and grabbed the hair brush and scissors. He signed to Annabeth to explain, 'I cut their hair, we have three showers here and they know to wash their hair before I get back on a hair cut day.' Annabeth nodded and watched as Percy trimmed the boy's hair.

After he was finished Percy smiled at Annabeth. 'Mind repainting his toes, while I cut the others' hair?'

"Sure Percy." Annabeth grabbed the boy up in her arms and sat him on her knee. "What color?"

And so it went on, Percy cutting the children's hair and Annabeth painting nails. Until all Seven kids were grinning up at the two. At some point Jill had brought snacks in and the kids waiting had dug in.

Percy smiled at Annabeth. 'Thanks for your help.'

"No problem, these guys are so cute." She rubbed Maddie's head, the little girl having taken up sitting in the blonde's lap. Having warmed up to her extremely fast.

"Will you be coming back?" Maddie asked as she played with a lose strand of Annabeth's hair. Percy tried not to tense at the question, just occupied his hands by putting everything away.

"Of course, you all are amazing!" She buried her face in Maddie's neck and the little girl started giggling.

Jill came back out with a new plate of snacks. "Why don't you two go upstairs and study, I can take care of these hooligans for a while on my own." Percy gave her a look like 'are you sure', and she waved him off and up stairs.

Annabeth followed Percy up the staircase and down the hall.