Hermione's POV

Elena is my friend, but anyone could tell that Lily and her are far closer to each other than me. Some might venture as far as to say that they ae closer than Lily and I. What brakes my heart is not that I will never see Elena again (though that did leave an almost unbearable weight in my heart), it is knowing that Lily will never see her best friend again.

I know she won't be the same. She was happy when she was with Elena. They did everything together. They are more than friends. More than family even. For them, leaving each other is like leaving part of yourself behind.

When we got home, Lily went straight to her room and locked herself in. I decided to try and take her mind off the issue.

I knocked quietly on the door.

"Lily? You can't hide in there forever. May I please speak with you?" a muffled voice answered and a moment later I heard the lock slide. I pushed open the door and sat next to her on her bed. Now that I am here, I am not sure what to say.

Lily stared blankly at her shoes as if she couldn't quite remember what they were for. I sighed and stood up to leave.

"How can I make more friends when I know that none of them can compare to Elena? You are just as important to me as her, but you are different. You are my sister and you couldn't leave me even if you wanted to. I just don't know what to do! I had never even thought about what would happen if I had to leave her, and for what? To become a witch?" she sighed and looked away. I put my arm around her shoulder.

"Well you are certainly right about one thing. I'm not going anywhere," she gave a smile and hugged me back.

"Hermione?"

"Yes?"

"Thankyou."

I hugged her and we laid down on her bed in a big bundle and fell asleep.

---------------------------------------------

Over the next week, I felt more like a bug sister than a twin to Lily. I stayed by her side and hugged her frequently. The only times she wasn't with me was whenever I would start spouting facts about random historical things that she found rather boring. She only listened when it was something about the wizarding world that I read in one of the books we had bought from a wizarding store called Flourish and Blotts.

On the day that we were to leave to go to Hogwarts, we slept in. I had packed both of our trunks the day before so we didn't have to go through the last minute scurrying.

We changed into some of our best clothes and ate a big breakfast that our parents had made to celebrate us being witches.

We said a very emotional goodbye at the station as they didn't want to go in. We assured them we would be fine and that we would write often and they left with many last minute kisses and waves.

Lily and I walked to the platform where the train would arrive. Well we tried to.

"9 3/4? There is no such thing? Aren't all the platform numbers whole numbers?" Lily asked me. We were standing in between platform 9 and platform 10, peering hopelessly around.

"Well it is magic. Anything could happen?" I looked around as if hoping a wizard would pop out of nowhere and show us the way to the platform.

"Well maybe we're at the wrong station. Let me see the letter ag-" lily's jaw dropped. She was staring at something behind me. I turned, thinking she had found the entrance to the platform. What I saw actually didn't surprise me at all. I think I had known it all along. Lily, on the other hand, looked as if she couldn't believe her eyes.

"Elena?"