Chapter 7

Neytiri's Flashback

I'm running through the trees. I know exactly where I'm going. I rush through the brush, ignoring the sting of the branches as they slap against my cheeks. I know he'll be upset with me for not taking my time, but I don't care. I just want to see him.

I overheard the villagers talking about me. I'm a curse. A freak. I should have died along with my people. It would have washed my slate clean. But I'm a living sin. That's what they say about me. I finally reach the edge of the trees, and I can see it. His camp. My eyes fall to the symbol on the banners and I smile through my tears, making my way into his camp.

The soldiers barely glance in my direction. He made it clear a long time ago that I am always welcome. I pass by a familiar guard, and I recognize him immediately. I take note he does a double take when he sees me. I rush through the camp taking in the familiar sounds of metal and conversation.

I see his deep red tent straight ahead of me. I pump my legs even harder just wanting to reach him already. I reach out pushing open the tent, barging in right in the middle of his meeting. His generals all look in my direction, and I see him straight ahead. His back is to me, and his hair is falling past his waist into a loose ponytail.

He turns to me, but for some reason I can't see his face. It's as if it's blurred. He glares at me for a good while, then turns to his generals once he notices the tears streaming down my face.

"Give me a moment." His voice is commanding. Stern. And everyone leaves the tent. Then he turns to me, walking to where I stand in the entrance of his war tent, and kneels to my height. I still can't make out his features.

He places his finger under my chin, lifting my gaze to meet his. He tilts his head, and even though I can't see his face, there is something in the back of my mind telling me that he has a curious smile on his face.

"Why are you crying?"

* * * * *

I jolt awake in bed, letting out a loud gasp. My gaze scans the room but there is no one to be found. The room is dark and empty due to the thick curtains drawn over the windows. My heart is racing, and I place my hand over my chest trying to calm myself down when I realize there's a light sheen of sweat covering my skin.

That dream was so vivid, as if it really happened once. Maybe it did. But for the life of me now I can't ever recall something like that happening. And I can't even remember the identity of the man I was so eager to see. It had to have been a very vivid dream.

I lay back on the soft sheets, looking up at the ceiling. It's been days since I last spoke to Cassian. My mind has finally calmed itself down, and the myriad of emotions that I had been feeling up to this point are now in my control. I can think clearly, and focus on getting out of here. Cassian said I am not a prisoner, yet he won't let me leave this kingdom.

I pull back the covers, throwing my legs over the side of the bed. I always wake up early and wait for Ismena to arrive. Today, however, I do everything on my own, eager to get out of bed and clear my mind. I reach underneath the bed, pulling out the clothing I have been working on for a while now. I snuck some needle and thread and a blade to cut the length of this dress. It's all white with a sheer overlay, but I cut the length of the dress and sewed it into pant legs. The clothing I stitched makes it much easier for me to move around, and won't get caught under my feet or between my legs like those awful dresses they try and force me to wear.

I walk to the mirror, braiding the front of my hair into a ponytail and grab my sword before leaving my bedroom. I've almost mentally memorized the halls of this castle, so it's easier for me to find myself where I want to be. I'm walking the halls, heading to one of the doors that lead outside when I hear a voice.