Siren Point by allamason

Siren Point by allamason

Siren Point is a paradise. There's no use trying to deny it. The ocean is so clear that you can see every individual grain of sand, and the waves so tall that you could try to crest them for years and never reach the top. (Trust me, I've tried...) The sand is so fine that it takes only a few minutes to shake it from your clothes, and even the seaweed doesn't wash up here.

The point itself is situated about a kilometre away from Dawson Creek, the small town my family and I call home; and its golden sands stretch for over three more down the coast. My mates and I love it. But, as with any prize like this, there's a setback. And I discovered it way too late.

My little sister Harriet had just turned fourteen, which meant that Mum was obligated to give her one unconditional wish. One thing that she could have, no matter what the circumstances were. It was a family tradition. She picked Siren Point. Before her birthday, she'd never been allowed out to the Point.

"It's too dangerous for such a young girl," Mum would fuss as Harriet whined.

"But Lachie will be there to protect me! And his mates — even Jenna's going!"

Mum would just sigh an shake her head, stroking Harriet's hair protectively. "Wait until you're older, pumpkin."

Now she was bouncing up and down in excitement outside my door, as I stuffed some spare clothes into my duffel bag.

"Lachie! Hurry up! The others are probably already there!"

I rolled my eyes in a playful way, pushing open the door.

"Chillax, Hazza. Cam's waiting for us by the Shack."

And with that, it seemed Harriet could hardly wait any longer. She grabbed my arm and tugged me out of the front door, calling back a hasty goodbye to Mum. We raced along the small dirt road that leads to the main square, passing Rachel Franklin's house, and the one belonging to my best mate, Cameron Nichols. As we reached the main square, slowing down, the latter raised a lanky arm and waved us over.

"Hey, Lachie!" he greeted me, freckly face crinkled into a grin. "How-do, Hazza?"

Harriet beamed up at him, her pale green eyes sparkling with undisguised excitement. "I'm fourteen today! That means that I can go to the Point!"

Cam tapped a long finger against the side of his nose. "So I've heard."

He turned to me, eyes twinkling good-naturedly. "Rachel and Jenna are already there, but I told them I'd wait up for you." Another eye-crinkling grin. "Someone seems keen," he added in an undertone.

A poke on my arm announced the interest of my little sister, who immediately started tugging my arm again. "Hurry up, Lachie!"

Cam and I exchanged a look, his mouth stretching into another uncontrollable grin. "Lead the way, Lachie."

And so we ducked behind the Shack (a story for another time) and started off down the small Aboriginal trail behind it. Or, at least, that's what we assumed it was. I'd been going down this path with my mates for just over four years now, and we still hadn't found out.

It also wasn't a long track — but Harriet sure made it last what seemed like hours. Her initial excitement had worn off, and so she'd started complaining about the spiny native plants that bordered the track, which was apparently poking her short legs and hurting her. By the time we arrived, it was late afternoon — we would only have a few hours.

Nobody swims at Siren Point at sunset.

Back in the seventies (or so I've heard), Mum's brother Roger was mucking around with his best mate at the Point, and they decided to stay out past sunset. The next day, Oscar found an arm in his crab traps. An arm. It was a wonder that Mum had even let me go there. Perhaps she thought there was safety in numbers.